Overstocked?

missjeannie

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just wanted your guys' opinions because a local Waterstones has a small tank in the kids' section and to me it looks too small for the fish it has in. Obviously i dont have precise measurements but comparing it with my own 70l tank id guess its a 50 litre at most and quite tall. 
It has the following fish in:
3 yellow labs
2 chequered julie
1 krib
4 fish i dont recognise but they look like pale white, slightly smaller than the yellow labs but a similar shape

I dont know anything about these fish so I just wanted your opinion before i made any enquiry with their staff because the tank looks overstocked to my untrained eyes! Thanks!

That is too small a tank size for those fish. Most cichlids need a minimum tank size of 30 gallons at least.

Thanks I thought so :( I think I'll talk to the staff about it then!

My local one used to have one, which had a parrot, some yellow labs, and a common plec. They got shot of it a year or so ago.

Did your used to be an Ottakars, before Waterstones took it over? The one in Portsmouth did, I wonder if it's something that Ottakars thought was a good idea, and Waterstones are slowly trying to remove?

The one local to me has had fish for years and always been a waterstones so dont think its unusual for them - always in a shocking condition and massively over stocked. Its nice for the kids though so who really cares :/ grrrr grumble grumble....

Wills

Mine was an Ottakars (I remember because they added a P to the front of the sign before a harry potter release night!) but the tank only went in a year ago when it had been a waterstones for a while. im going to speak with the staff who are friendly because those fish look stressed and sad to me :(

Most reactions

trending

Back