FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I have way over stocked my tank and I'm looking to get a new one. I have 2 angelfish, 3 dwarf gourami, 2 mollies, 4 platies, 10 neon tetras, 4 cories, 4 algae eaters, 4 danios, and 3 snails. I had 20 ghost shrimp but I'm pretty sure they got ate by my other fish as there's no bodies from them. I currently have a 29 gallon tank so I have too many fish. My water levels are right where they need to be, not sure on numbers but I can figure that out. I'm looking at a 75 gallon tall, would that be good? Or would it not being that wide not let my fish really claim territory? Should I go bigger than 75 gallon? My neon tetras would stay in the 29 gallon so I can do a bigger school so that clears some room in my next tank. Everyone else would live together in my next tank. All my fish are healthy and get along great although I'm not sure if that would change as they get older and bigger.

Hi you have a bit of a mix of water requirements there some hard waters like the mollies and some soft water like the angels and gourami. I'm going to be really annoying and ask some questions to help us help you :)

Do you know what your tap water is like?

What are the dimensions of the 75 tall?

What aer your 4 algae eaters?

wills

Do you know what your tap water is like?

What are the dimensions of the 75 tall?

What aer your 4 algae eaters?
1. It is softer, I'm aware the mollies aren't a big fan of that but they've survived 2 months in the tank so far

2. I am unsure, it is a listing on Facebook and it just says a "Standard size 75 gal tall" so not sure what that means.

3. The fish store had that as their name but I'll include a picture of them.

I also have a pleco of some kind, store said his max size is 6" though.

Attachments

• PXL_20201022_210907052.jpg
    PXL_20201022_210907052.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 84
Cool thankyou thats useful :)

So water hardness usually affects fish in the long term and impacts on their lifespan rather than short term. A molly should live for 5 or so years but in soft water this could be reduced to 2 or less so its just something to be aware of. I'm not a massive fan of suggesting rehoming fish in these instances as the odds are that if you take it to a local store someone else with identical water to you will take them home and they might not be as dedicated to their tank as you are in terms of research and maintenance :) But just something to bear in mind in the future with other fish selections.

Is the 75g a 4 foot tank? I believe standard 75 dimensions are 48x18x21 inches does that sound about right? I'm not 100% on those algae eaters they could be the natural colour version of Chinese Algae Eaters which can be quite a problematic fish when they get older and may not be compatible with your angels and goruami as there are reports of them sucking on the side of large bodied fish. Can you get a photo of the pleco? Hoping its something like a rubber lip or bristlenose.

If I was splitting those fish between a 75 and a 29 I would go for something like.

75g
2 Angelfish
2 Mollies
4 Platies
4 Danios

29g
3 Dwarf Gourami
10 Neon Tetras
4 Cories

I'd rehome the Algae Eaters as I think these are going to cause problems in the future and in contrast to the hardwater issues I think they will be better suited to someone else tank long term.

I'm hoping that the 75g will be at least 18 inches tall which is a minimum depth for me for angels as they are a very tall fish when adult as close to 2 foot would be preferable too. A sand substrate would be in their best interest too as it will protect their trailing ventral fins.

In the 75g I would increase the number of danios to around 15 of all the same species and in the 29 increase your cories to 8 again the same species as the 4 you have (if you have Bronze you could get Albino or any of the line bred variants long fin, high fin etc).

Wills

Cool thankyou thats useful :)

So water hardness usually affects fish in the long term and impacts on their lifespan rather than short term. A molly should live for 5 or so years but in soft water this could be reduced to 2 or less so its just something to be aware of. I'm not a massive fan of suggesting rehoming fish in these instances as the odds are that if you take it to a local store someone else with identical water to you will take them home and they might not be as dedicated to their tank as you are in terms of research and maintenance :) But just something to bear in mind in the future with other fish selections.

Is the 75g a 4 foot tank? I believe standard 75 dimensions are 48x18x21 inches does that sound about right? I'm not 100% on those algae eaters they could be the natural colour version of Chinese Algae Eaters which can be quite a problematic fish when they get older and may not be compatible with your angels and goruami as there are reports of them sucking on the side of large bodied fish. Can you get a photo of the pleco? Hoping its something like a rubber lip or bristlenose.

If I was splitting those fish between a 75 and a 29 I would go for something like.

75g
2 Angelfish
2 Mollies
4 Platies
4 Danios

29g
3 Dwarf Gourami
10 Neon Tetras
4 Cories

I'd rehome the Algae Eaters as I think these are going to cause problems in the future and in contrast to the hardwater issues I think they will be better suited to someone else tank long term.

I'm hoping that the 75g will be at least 18 inches tall which is a minimum depth for me for angels as they are a very tall fish when adult as close to 2 foot would be preferable too. A sand substrate would be in their best interest too as it will protect their trailing ventral fins.

In the 75g I would increase the number of danios to around 15 of all the same species and in the 29 increase your cories to 8 again the same species as the 4 you have (if you have Bronze you could get Albino or any of the line bred variants long fin, high fin etc).

Wills
So I did some searching and found a tank that looks similar to the one I'm looking at on Facebook and it's dimensions are 30x30x18, all in inches. I don't believe it is the same exact one but it looks pretty similar so the dimensions of the one I'm looking at can't be that far off.

About the algae eaters, I had no idea about that otherwise I would not have got them. My pleco just doesn't do much so I decided I want some fish to live at the bottom of my tank, so I got algae eaters and cories. I'd honestly rather rehome them in a tank I have then to give them up, and I do have a 10-gallon tank I can set up for the algae eaters. If that is a good idea what are some other fish you think could live with them? And if they wouldn't be happy in the tank that small, I will try to rehome them with someone else.

Thank you for your help!

I’m not sure those dimensions are the best for the angels you want it at least four foot long which is achievable with 75 gallons. Are you limited in floor space?

the Chinese algae eaters can get quite big uptin8 inches so a 10g is not really viable if I was planning a tank for them I would put them with danios and bigger rasboras and loaches in an Asian themed tank of at least 55g

I’m not sure those dimensions are the best for the angels you want it at least four foot long which is achievable with 75 gallons. Are you limited in floor space?

the Chinese algae eaters can get quite big uptin8 inches so a 10g is not really viable if I was planning a tank for them I would put them with danios and bigger rasboras and loaches in an Asian themed tank of at least 55g
I am somewhat limited on floor space that's why I liked the tall but if the fish would not be happy in that I can make room for a longer tank.

If that's what I would need to do for the algae eaters I will probably find them a new home. They're pretty cool but cories are better anyways lol. Do you think you'll be worth taking my chances leaving them with my other fish or would they be too big of an issue? I'm moving into a new house in the spring where I will have more room for tanks so if they wouldn't be too big or mean by then I could figure it out then.

You asked earlier for a picture of my pleco but he is hiding somewhere in my tank at the moment and I don't want to move all of my structures and stuff. When I cleaned the tank a couple days ago he was around 3", just guessing, if it's the size you were wondering about.

That could be a good option then I’d leave them in the 29 for now and look to sort their own tank once moved. No worries on the pleco I just want to work our what type it is as some shops will say anything

I had a mated pair of angelfish in a standard 55 gallon tank (4 foot long) and I agree with @Wills they need a longer tank to swim. My angelfish bodies grew to 6 inches (just the body) They are also aggressive eaters at feeding time.

Wow, that's awesome how you are willing to go to great lengths ( :D ) to accommodate your fish! :flowers:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back