Overkill or Not?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

beatking

Reaction score
I'm running two medium sponge filters in my newly established planted 29 gallon tank sans fish. Is this redundancy or acceptable? Thank you

Steve

I've got 3 HOBs at the moment in my 29g. But that's only because I'm "seasoning" a new one. Once that one is ready, I'll decommission the oldest. I started with one that came with the tank, it's old and the flow is too slow without ability to regulate it, so I added the second one thinking I'd replace the original, rhen decided to leave it there just because. This third one is a brand new unit I got for free. I'll remove the oldest one once it's all said and done. The two filters work fine for my tank, I don't think you can have water that's "too clean" by having a second filter. If anything, I've noticed this seems to help me extend the time between water changes for this tank.

The question might be phrased as whether it's enough. It will depend on the fish. In any tank over 15 gallons, I like to run at least 2 filters, and in my large tanks, several filters.

Most reactions

trending

Back