Overhead Lights?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

liz2

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Some of you mention overhead lights. One of my boys (red one) is near to a table lamp. Now sometimes I put it on at night just so I can see him. The others have no overhead light but are in kitchen under work top lights which I put on just to inspect them. If you put lights on like I have which are not really the proper tank lights won't it raise the temp. of water too much? They have all got their own heater and temp gauge.

Incandescent lights will raise the temperature. Bettas don't really like light anyway, they're murky water fish and they have rather poor eyesight compared to other tropical fish.

Thanks for reply. Seems a bit of a waste beig so beautiful and being a "murky water fish" why do we keep their water clean then :grr: 'cos we are their slaves. :* My smallest betta wont eat those betta granules all my others eat..he loves peas and flakes

There's always one in the crowd who has to be different :lol:

Maybe the murkiness helps protect such beautiful fish. Surely they would be easy to prey on if they were easy to see. "OoOoh, I'm gonna eat that glim glammery one way over there! *chomp*"

Is there somewhere you can read about their natural habitat. I was always told by lfs that they live in small amounts of murky water...I need more info... :hyper:

Thanks. when I got a mo I will have a read. I think my newest betta is dead. He was the fussy eater. I should stop buying ones that I feel sorry for...he was pretty but very very tiny and he spent most of his time hidden..that is the second one from my lfs that has died. I will go and have another look at him...no floating on top lovely colours all green and red. I will leave him for today in his tank like laying in state.

I will not buy any more from that lfs they are the ones that had puffers in with ordinary fish and didnt even know what a puffer was!! :no: poor little chap I dont like it when they just snuff it like that.

My tiny betta he is no more.
Only a shadow in the early morning light.
Laying so still in his glassy dome.

Clearly his beauty can now be seen.
Shiny scales of red and green.

My tiny betta he is no more.
He glided away in the dark of the night
Swimming onwards back to his home.

I'll dig up some links. I used to have all kinds of cool stuff in my favorites, then my computer died :-(
I've had to start from scratch over the past two months.

Mahachai

Splendens

Mahachai revisited

Betta Simplex , a really beautiful read

And of course the IBC's SMP site...
http://www.ibc-smp.org/index.html

There's a few for starters. Maybe some other folks can cough up some links. Plus there's a thread in the pinned FAQ with tons of links..
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=45548
Thanks been reading fascinating. Silly question now...would most of the fish at lfs be from Uk then or abroad?

Hey. Just thought I'd add something quickly! In the wild, bettas wouldn't have had the large fancy fins with so many crazy colour varities. Those are traits people have bred into them by selecting the very rare mutations and then working on them from there!

:)

-Ian

As ezrock said the bettas we find at our lfs's are selectively bred for the long fins, but they all stem from the wild. It's just been years and years since they've seen it.

But, with that said, most of the bettas purchased for retail do come from abroad. Overseas there are many, many betta farms that raise pet store veils for mass sale to chains etc. Your particular fish store may get them from a local breeder, but I doubt it.

Most reactions

trending

Back