Overfeeding tetra?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Discus_phil

Reaction score
Something I’ve not really bothered with until we recently bought more discus.

So now the new tank has been up and running for a while we have been out and bought 6 more baby discus to add to our 8 adults, they’ve settled in amazingly and I was surprised at how they move the big guys out of the way come feeding time...

Since adding these guys we’ve upped the feeding to 3 of the stendker beef heart a day- morning, when we’re back from work and when we go to bed.

With the extra food the 35 ish cardinal tetra we have swarm in and eat all the smaller pieces that break off, but since we have almost doubled the food the cardinals always have full round looking bellies. Should I be worried about overfeeding (even though I can’t really help it with the discus)

I’ll add a picture of the setup, It’s due a water change tomorow so excuse the blue green algae and detritus . I think some Corey’s or geos will be on the shopping list shortly.. there’s even a spawning picture in there!
It’s a 550litre 5ft wide 2.5 ft tall

Attachments

• B7527F74-013E-48FB-84E7-FE607DFAB24C.jpeg
    B7527F74-013E-48FB-84E7-FE607DFAB24C.jpeg
    277.4 KB · Views: 55
  • F6354C11-23B8-40D7-9913-F4A9116A30D4.jpeg
    F6354C11-23B8-40D7-9913-F4A9116A30D4.jpeg
    288.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 5DFBFDE2-9E8D-43CA-A8FC-E71490FACD39.jpeg
    5DFBFDE2-9E8D-43CA-A8FC-E71490FACD39.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 3696F48A-9B31-43A9-97A4-64023A943DE1.jpeg
    3696F48A-9B31-43A9-97A4-64023A943DE1.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 55
Mammal meats aren't the best for fish. You are better off using marine based meats like prawn, fish and squid. You should also feed them insect larvae and aquatic crustaceans like bloodworms, brineshrimp, daphnia and mysis shrimp.

If the tetras have fat stomachs it is fine. They will gain a little weight but it doesn't normally cause any major issues if they get a varied diet. If you are concerned, feed the fish 6 days a week and let them starve on the 7th day.

Mammal meats aren't the best for fish. You are better off using marine based meats like prawn, fish and squid. You should also feed them insect larvae and aquatic crustaceans like bloodworms, brineshrimp, daphnia and mysis shrimp.

If the tetras have fat stomachs it is fine. They will gain a little weight but it doesn't normally cause any major issues if they get a varied diet. If you are concerned, feed the fish 6 days a week and let them starve on the 7th day.

It is advised to feed stendker discus beef heart...

might give them a starve day though!

Something I’ve not really bothered with until we recently bought more discus.

So now the new tank has been up and running for a while we have been out and bought 6 more baby discus to add to our 8 adults, they’ve settled in amazingly and I was surprised at how they move the big guys out of the way come feeding time...

Since adding these guys we’ve upped the feeding to 3 of the stendker beef heart a day- morning, when we’re back from work and when we go to bed.

With the extra food the 35 ish cardinal tetra we have swarm in and eat all the smaller pieces that break off, but since we have almost doubled the food the cardinals always have full round looking bellies. Should I be worried about overfeeding (even though I can’t really help it with the discus)

I’ll add a picture of the setup, It’s due a water change tomorow so excuse the blue green algae and detritus . I think some Corey’s or geos will be on the shopping list shortly.. there’s even a spawning picture in there!
It’s a 550litre 5ft wide 2.5 ft tall
I can't help you with your problem, but that's a beautiful tank! Absolutely gorgeous fish ?

It is advised to feed stendker discus beef heart...
It may be someone's recommendation but if we look at it from a natural perspective, Discus evolved for thousands of years, never feeding on beef heart. Just like most tropical fish never ate brine shrimp or grain/grain starch. It's almost a kind of arrogance that we think we're smarter than nature.
The odds are that most hobbyists likely overfeed their fish. It's in their nature to eat whenever food is available, so they will eat more than they need. Often this leads to unhealthy fish and unhealthy water.
I can't say that you're overfeeding, but if YOU think you might be, you probably are. So cut back and see what happens. You might be surprised at how well your fish do with less food.
This past summer we had a drought (And Then There Was Drought). I felt that I had to cut back on water changes in my heavily stocked grow out tanks. To do this, I felt I had to cut back on feeding as well (so the water would be less polluted between partial water changes). The fish did amazingly well, even though these were growing fish! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back