Overall, how easy is a Dwarf Puffer to take care..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

How easy is a Dwarf Puffer to take care of?

• VERY easy... fish beginers could handle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • medium... need some fish experience

• HARD... only for experts!

• Total voters
Territorial, need plants and/or hiding places, frequent water changes, messy eaters, eat live foods, and hard to put in a community tank... Medium

GodricPuffer said:
Territorial, need plants and/or hiding places, frequent water changes, messy eaters, eat live foods, and hard to put in a community tank... Medium
I agree with GodricPuffer, but with DP a community tank is just not going to happen.

You need to make sure they have plenty of places to mark out a territory, make sure they get snails for food, and they need lots of water changes. Other than that it isn't too hard to keep them, except you have to be careful about what kind of fish can go with them.

Yano said:
DP in a community tank is just not going to happen.
I disagree, I've had four dwarfs in a comunity tank with tetras, corys plecos and ansistrus for a year. no problems at all.

The secret is to keep 'em well fed and have a heavily planted tank with lots of hiding places so that the puffers can establish a teritory without being able to see each other.

Although they spend most of their time swimming in a pack, they retire to their territories to sleep and will defend any food found in their own area from the others.

I think it depends more on the caregiver. Like any new "pet", it takes the caregiver awhile to learn how to best care for the critter(s)--and they are individuals too so what goes for one isn't necessarily going to hold for the next one. DPs don't have scales so you have to keep that in mind, especially when you need to medicate them. They are fairly sensitive to their water conditions so you have to do the cleanings/water changes without fail. Since they eat snails and things that often carry parasites and/or diseases, they will sometimes get internal problems. They do need plants and live ones if possible. Lots of them--forests of them. Which means having to take care of plants as well. But once you learn and get to know what is needed, they are fun and great pets. Cute as anything too. Highly personably once they know you aren't going to hurt them.

SirMinion said:
Yano said:
DP in a community tank is just not going to happen.
I disagree, I've had four dwarfs in a comunity tank with tetras, corys plecos and ansistrus for a year. no problems at all.

The secret is to keep 'em well fed and have a heavily planted tank with lots of hiding places so that the puffers can establish a teritory without being able to see each other.

Although they spend most of their time swimming in a pack, they retire to their territories to sleep and will defend any food found in their own area from the others.
How big is the tank and how often do you feed them?

Yano said:
How big is the tank and how often do you feed them?
63L and everyday except Sundays (fasting day)

That's three times a week with live bloodworm, brineshrimp or daphnia, and the other 3 days they get frozen things and there's always snails available.

I'd say for the average person inquiring about DPs its safe to say they are species only. It sounds like you have some docile puffs in very good conditions but better safe than sorry. I wouldnt want to hear someone trying to imitate your set up and have a disaster!

But cheers to you and your success! :)

Oh and i rated DPs medium as they do require a little more than your average "starter" fish in the way of diet, maintenance and tank set up.

Well, if you wanted tank mates it would still be hard, because you need a fast moving fish so that the puffer can't nip his fins as easily. And yes, a good diet is key so as to occupy the puffer with foods and not fins.. :p

Or a very lazy fish that won't move all day so the puffers don't notice it. All the fish in my tank are nocturnal except for the puffers so there is never any problem with nipping.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back