Over Population Of Ghost Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dafrancis

Reaction score
I have a 30 gal tank with mostly Platy's, Guppies, and Mollies.  I added four ghost shrimp six months ago and now the tank is overwhelmed with them.  Is there a natural way to control the population? 

Get a fish that eats shrimp, or some assassin snails eat baby shrimp, some crayfish will eat small shrimp. 

You could dose the tank with cooper which would kill all invertebrates in the tank, which isnt the best option.

Or you could just remove shrimp a lot lol

I have never been able to get ghost shrimp to breed, which is unfortunate because I like the little buggers. 

Why are you trying to get rid of them? They should do a pretty good job of helping the tank. I don't think they eat algae like some shrimp species do, but they do graze on live plants and clean up the biofilm that lives on them. They also like to clean the glass. You could always give some of them away or set up a new tank with fish that like to eat the youngsters. You'll probably have to feed the shrimp specific food to make sure that they are a healthy option for any new fish, but that's not hard to do. Puffer fish will usually eat shrimp. 

I understand in some ways because one of my tanks is overrun with snails. If you don't want all the shrimp, some stores will take them off your hands and I've also had luck with giving extras away. Try reaching out to stores around you to see if they'll take them :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back