Over Flow Box And Pump Power Questions! Need Advice!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CBBP

Fish Addict
Reaction score
CardBoardBoxProcessor;551862 said:
I am going to get a tank between 75 - 120 gallons. It will have dirt goldfish and need a good water turn over rate. I want to run a sump as well. Which if these is best?

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

OR

Aquarium Filters: Continuous Siphon Overflow

And! I need a pump. I guess I will want about 1000 GPH. It will have to go up at most 6 feet but at minimum of 5 feet. So probably a Mag Drive 1800 as at 6 feet it will be about 1100 GPH. That being said what GPH siphon box should I get. And what kind?

The two surface skimmers with auto syphon overflows are quite similar. Just get whichever one is cheapest and can take the amount of water you want to drain out through it. Get a slightly bigger model if possible so you won’t have any problems flooding the tank.

A sump can be any water container that sits under or next to the main tank. If you are setting up a big display tank then get a double tier stand. Have two tanks the same or similar size, one on the top shelf and one underneath it. The top tank will hold the fish and the bottom tank will be the sump.
If you get the tanks made you can get a hole drilled in the base of the top tank and put a bit of PVC pipe in it. This can be used as the auto syphon and you won’t have to buy a separate unit (from the links).

hmm. that would be easiest but..

hey so do you think the OFB will do that it is rated? have read that some will not do as said.

Most overflow boxes will do close to the amount of water they state, but there will always be some models that have been exaggerated and don't do what they state. That is the main reason why you should try to get a slightly bigger overflow than you require. Then you are guaranteed the unit will be able to take the water going through it.

okay. and most at that state are duals. How could I make it so water goes more so into one than the other? put a little 1" connector atop on of the mounts so it is more likely? or just combines then into a 2"

you don't want to make more water go down one side than the other. The idea is to have an overflow that is capable of taking a lot of water even if it doesn't have to. That way the tank will never overflow because the overflow unit will be capable of taking all the water flowing through the tank.
If you restrict the flow of a unit, you will be more likely to have problems with the tank over filling because the return pump is putting too much water in the tank, and the overflow isn't able to drain the water fast enough.

With the amount of floods I know have been caused by overflows, I'd strongly advice you to drill the tanks :good:

With an overflow, loose power, flow stops, overflow box sucks in air with the last water it gets loosing the "overflow" syphon, power comes back on, tank fills up, overflow does not start again, tank overflows onto floor, sump drains, return pump burns out and insurance refuses to pay for the mess as it was a fish tank leak and hence something you cannot claim for on most insurance policies. :crazy:

With a drilled tank, loose power, flow stops, drains stall out, power comes back on, tank fills up, drains re-start, oh, the timer switches of the lights aren't right, did something happen to the power? :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back