Our Turtles

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ok ok no handbags lol

Might have to take zeus to the vets. His eye is still swollen and puffy and he's not opening it! They sure no how to scare us dont they?!!

Sickwids love it. How cute!

Oh they sure do, Atlas dived off his log so fast this morning I thought he had knocked himself out, he seems fine, just watching him. I have pm's the details of my reptile vet on Jay's id it wont let me send it to you.

Oh they sure do, Atlas dived off his log so fast this morning I thought he had knocked himself out, he seems fine, just watching him. I have pm's the details of my reptile vet on Jay's id it wont let me send it to you.

think its because i havent been a member long. will end up going to that vets then i think! its closer than manchester and will probably get better treatment there! his eye is no better today but he still seems happy in himself and is feeding ok. he keeps trying to open it but it looks painful for him bless. hope atlas hasnt got concusion! lol

one of mine have a swollen shut eye, i presumed he'd scratched it cause his nails are growing, but when he notices someone is there or comes out of the pond, he opens it fine??? very strange!

8 of our turts live outside but i dont want them to hibernate out there this year (the ponds are not deep enough yet) should i be bringing them inside round about now???

Rocky's eye is better today I think it was a bit of skin with her, funny we all have turts with poorly eyes.

Spishkey, I would think about bringing them in soon else they may start to shut down for hibernation.

they are allready in spishkey we brought them in a couple of days ago

The swelling is going down now which is good but we are keeping a very close eye on it

they are allready in spishkey we brought them in a couple of days ago

The swelling is going down now which is good but we are keeping a very close eye on it

yeah as jay says we have brought them in i felt as though the temperature was getting a little low for them.

I liked all your photos of the turtles. The really tiny one was cute :)

I am not thinking of getting one I am just curious (for future reference) what sized tank/pond do you need to keep them in?

based on one turtle say a yellow belly slider as they are the most common roughly 40L per inch of shell and an additional 20L per square inch of shell for each other turtle that is added

a female can get upto 14" maybe a little bigger so you do need a big tank or pond

but that basic rule applies to all turtles too

:good:

Hi jay,
i had a ybs when i was younger, he was kept in a 3foot tank but outgrew it, also it only had internal filtration
I got him rehomed :(

What filtration do you use as they are quite messy.

on my indoor turtle tanks i use sump filters (sumps measure 180x40x30 and have 5 'chambers' 2filled with plants, 1 with lava stones, 1 with ceramics 1 with fine gravel...also contains white filter wool to 'polish' the water) works a treat at keeping the water crystal clean!

well we rehomed our first turtle last week, Vicki the res has gone to live her life out in a large indoor pond up the road with the lady i get my guinea pigs from :) sadly we lost our res/ybs cross last week too (she wandered off from a temporary holding while a leak in her pond was being fixed :()
But we collected 2 tiny babys this morning....a guy wanted rid asap (think they were a present from his gf but they'd split up) so we welcomed them with open arms.....pics tomorrow!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back