Our tank has begun....All natural no chemicals.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Metalman

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So we got the tank, Nikki went to town cleaning it completely and rinsed out several times, next was fill up and get pump going then new gravel cleaned and layered. I did go local to buy anything as I am an avid buy UK wherever poss!!!
Bogwood scrubbed and well soaked then basic setup with some slates we have got on our down south in moho travels.
This tank has to be as natural as poss (no chemicals) so I started some fish food pellets to rot down and start the ammonia side?
Anyway that is where we are or were I should say, as a friend heard we had decided to start up again and has given us his tank (see pic) & I am picking up tomorrow ugh......hate being rushed but ok.
The plan was and I say that loosely now, to cycle tank over next 3-4 weeks introducing new plants and another lump of bogwood I have in tub soaking (much much bigger)
So I am now grabbing some rainbow barbs a catfish and some cherry barbs I believe tomorrow with some more wood and a nice plant well established. We have decided this spare tank will go in spare room as a brooder tank for young.
So that’s where we are and it will be a slow growth to protect the fish at all times and ensure it is harmonious.
0D252205-4D14-4A57-A134-C6B838E46B07.jpeg

Looks good to far!

Do you know the water hardness of your area? (GH and pH readings) What size is that tank?

By “catfish” I assume you mean Corydoras. All corys need to have sand as a substrate, because they are filter feeders.

The tank you have there may be to small for barbs.

Sorry other pic of freebie tank has now loaded, our tank is a metre long by 400mm wide 450mm high. These rainbow or fire barbs I believe is other name and they seem to be very peaceful fish that shoal. If I don’t take them and he cannot find a taker then it’s loo flush for them as they now want gone.....so with just them in our tank it should force tank to mature faster.
We certainly will not get any more until it is well planted and settled......then introduce new species as we go. Yes I shall be getting some sand for one end petering out across tank.

Looks good to far!

Do you know the water hardness of your area? (GH and pH readings) What size is that tank?

By “catfish” I assume you mean Corydoras. All corys need to have sand as a substrate, because they are filter feeders.

The tank you have there may be to small for barbs.

Well no he said they were but it turns out to be two yo-yo loach very adventurous pair too, a bristle nose pleco who has gone into hiding and a cpl of fire barbs also this cichlids tho I cannot find what one it is......it is very feisty to all other fish
9B391E74-464F-4785-8C35-D93907312B24.jpeg
875FA5C7-EF7F-4B73-AAAE-F61263FF9B53.jpeg
D9A97137-F134-40F0-BF35-75E08568E374.jpeg

I’m not meaning to be insulting at all, but I see several issues here.

Yo-Yo loaches need to have a very large tank, and need to be in groups of 6 or more. https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/botia-almorhae/

The BNP would probably be ok in that tank.

Cichlid need hard water and must be kept in Cichlid-only tanks, because of their aggression issues. (Not sure what species it is)

Phoenix not an insult at all, this free tank was given by a friend who had given up and wanted it gone, well his wife did. So either I took it or all of the fish were destined for the flush. So now they are housed in a much larger cleaner tank than they had and we just have to make do with what we have till it pegs it or we get the other tank set up and move it to that.....LOL

The cichlid is a kribensis so neutral to soft water. Yo-yos need a four foot tank.

good on you for taking them always horrible to see when people are prepared to take brutal action like that

Thanks Wills, to give it some exclusive ground we have put a clay pot on its side on the gravel......yet to decide it’s his. Mrs has now named it kriss lol

I'd keep an eye on him as he looks quite stressed (understandable with the move) but also has a cloudy eye and looks a bit skinny. Nothing clean water and good food wont help with though.

I'd keep an eye on him as he looks quite stressed (understandable with the move) but also has a cloudy eye and looks a bit skinny. Nothing clean water and good food wont help with though.
The tank was not in a good condition and gravel not cleaned in years Wills. The yoyos dived among the roots and I had to pull plant to get them and water instantly went black!! So it was get them into cooler bag and home ASAP tbh. Mrs will be putting veg and recommended food in as she is in charge of that...it appears it is my job to finance plants new pump etc etc .....go figure. Will keep an eye on it now for the glazed look to eye. ?

That is good you improved things for these fish, when my kids were in college they brought home their share of fish that they "rescued'. I ended up taking care of them. I did not need to buy fish for years.
We had a similar thing as kids, we had stray cats, dogs, birds and everything else come to our property. We had a menagerie of creatures and most were freebies or hand me downs from other people. However, we looked after them, mum didn't :)

We had a similar thing as kids, we had stray cats, dogs, birds and everything else come to our property. We had a menagerie of creatures and most were freebies or hand me downs from other people. However, we looked after them, mum didn't :)
You looked after cats!!, really!!, were you just fattening them up ? ?

All fish survived first night and loach’s are so active with all the new tank to explore.....
Sat at table having breakfast is just filled with wonder at watching these marvels of nature

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back