Our parrot Rocco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Well, we also have aparrot who´s name is Rocco. Male Meyer´s parrots will show the male coloration after a year or a year and a half. Meyer´s parrots are native to Africa,

what a great parrot. Please consider entering your parrot in our next Pet of the Month contest which starts in mid march.

Nice looking Parrot, I had Budgie years ago. They would fly out of their cage when I came home and land on my finger. They would then move to my shoulder and sit there while I watched TV. They would gently peck at my ear when I didn't pay attention to them. My friend has a male parrot that has pulled just about all his feathers out.:(

Last edited:
Nice looking Parrot, I had Budgie years ago. They would fly out of their cage when I came home and land on my finger. They would then move to my shoulder and sit there while I watched TV. They would gently peck at my ear when I didn't pay attention to them. My friend has a male parrot that has pulled just about all his feathers out.:(
Methinks your friend's parrot needs to see a pet psychologist. :)

The OP needs to get another parrot for his so it has bird company.

Retired Viking, feather plucking is caused by stress and boredom. If your friend only has one bird, it probably has separation anxiety and plucks whenever the people go out and leave the bird alone.

Parrots are social creatures that bond for life. The pair will go everywhere together. They eat, sleep, chat, hang out and stay by each other's side constantly. One bird in a house will bond with a human and when the human goes out to work, shopping or wherever, the bird freaks out and stresses out because its mate has gone. Then they start plucking feathers.

The best solution to feather plucking is finding it a compatible mate. The bird needs to choose its mate so sticking any bird with it does not always work. They need to put the bird in a cage near other birds and see which one it likes, then put the two birds together in a large cage and monitor them. If they are compatible you will know it pretty quickly.

If the people only want one bird, they need to provide it with lots of things to do whenever they go out. Adding tree branches with flowers, fruit or seed pods can give the bird something to do rather than pull its feathers out. Mirrors can help. Having the television on so the bird can see and hear things.

Feed the bird small types of seed so it spends more time picking at individual seeds and less time thinking about its human partner being away. In the wild parrots don't find many large seeds to eat. They spend hours every day picking at small bits of food. The same thing should happen in captivity. Parrots should get a balanced seed diet consisting of small seeds so they spend more time eating.

Methinks your friend's parrot needs to see a pet psychologist. :)
I told him that his parrot looks like one sick puppyo_O He said that the parrot is lonely when he is gone. He has a bar in his basement and the parrot was very friendly and walk along the bar from person to person but he has a new job and does not see his bird as much so now the parrot just sits on it's perch and makes noise:crazy:

The OP needs to get another parrot for his so it has bird company.
Well, our parrot doesn´t like other birds. We´ve tried it. He´s my buddy. But he´s okay when nobody´s around. He doesn´t get bored. He´s solitair for about 17 years now. He even didn´t like the company of his older brother. There´s not much to play with for him in his cage. For we´ve found out that he doesn´t like toys and mirrors. He get´s the attention he needs when we´re home. He likes to climb, walk on the bottom of the cage and eat. And he likes watching the fish tank.
zomaar 034a.jpg

He´s allowed to get out of the cage when someone´s around.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back