Our parrot loves beer...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Seems like some birds become drunk under natural circumstances. https://www.audubon.org/news/what-happens-when-birds-get-drunk. Probably shouldn't say anything but I had a crow that liked beer and would share one on occasion with my neighbor, neighbor would drink then hold the bottle so the crow could drink. After the beer was done he would fly back to his roost in the garage.

I had a crow that liked beer and would share one on occasion with my neighbor, neighbor would drink then hold the bottle so the crow could drink. After the beer was done he would fly back to his roost in the garage.
and then the bird would fall off his perch :lol:

If you read EK's original post, he isn't "giving his bird a beer." The bird is licking up what's in between the threads of the bottle, getting maybe a drop at the most. Not enough to be toxic. Chocolate is toxic to dogs, but if my 80 pound lab eats a chocolate chip, it won't hurt a thing. :)
Well jaylach is just being overconcerned or overprotected when it comes to animals. Which isn't a bad thing. So, nothing to be worried about. But it also tells me that jaylach doesn't know how tolerant an animal can be. This is not a complaint, btw. But there are way more people who are over concerned on the wellbeing of an animal. Which is absolutely okay as being an animal lover.

I grew up with animals. And I've been observing many animals in the wild that we keep in cages and tanks. This all have made my vision on animals a bit different. And that I know that a lot of them are more tolerant as info in books or internet tells us. From time to time, experience can be a better teacher than a text in a book...

But you're correct that I haven't given my parrot the beer but she's licking it. But people who are a bit or very overconcerned, may overlook what's really been mentioned. But again, I also appreciate the fact that jaylach tries to show his vision on this. For at least, it means that jaylach has a heart for animals. Which we all encourage...

My bird is a cockatiel and things are a bit different as to what they can safely consume but similar in relation to parrots. For instance NEVER give avocado to either as it can kill them in a heart beat. Does not always immediately kill but will shorten the life span at best.

While I've read MANY articles in relation to alcohol and birds ALL seem to agree that it should NEVER be done. One of the main issues is the high sugar content. Hook billed birds (and most others) do not tolerate concentrated sugar, it is, to them, a toxin. The sugar seems to disrupt the functions of internal organs such as the kidneys.

Not ALL sugars are that bad. For instance a few raisins once or twice a week is OK as it is a natural sugar where alcohol is not. Still, even with natural sugars, they should be given in extreme moderation.

As I've said before one should consider a 'pet' a responsibility rather than a privilege. I NEVER offer my cockatiel a new food without researching as to if it is safe.

If you REALLY care about your bird look at the following link on a search as to if beer is OK for a parrot. It just isn't and WILL kill the critter over time.

Your bird and all this is up to you but, if you really love the beastie, quit feeding poison. Let's see..... Give your bird the beer but also give yourself arsenic at the same time in the same weight proportion as to body weight. I doubt that you would do that so why do you do it to your bird? I don't often get aggressive here but I have no choice here as you are literally feeding your bird poison. That is just wrong.

BTW, A parrot or cockatiel may also enjoy sharing your morning coffee. The caffeine is almost as bad as alcohol.

PLEASE, anyone willing to listen, please always research what is safe for your beastie to eat. I mean who would imagine that grapes are toxic to dogs yet they are.

As I've often said having a pet is a responsibility not a privilege. You accept such a critter in to your home which means that it is totally reliant on what you do. If you are not willing to do what the critter needs to thrive then you should have never gotten the critter. Nor should you EVER satisfy your personal 'humor' by feeding such things as alcohol.
Avocado is toxic to a lot of animals actually. Everything I know of to be honest. Reptiles, goats, fish, birds, rabbits, etc. will die.

Avocado is toxic to a lot of animals actually. Everything I know of to be honest. Reptiles, goats, fish, birds, rabbits, etc. will die.
Agreed but is is sort of funny as to things that will harm our beasties. For instance who would guess that grapes are toxic to dogs. :dunno:

Same goes for chocolate.
Kind of like someone on a forum or I knew... can't really remember which... that tossed chicken bones to their dog. They insisted that if a dog catches a bird in the wild it is probably going to eat the thing whole which includes the bones. I was never able to convince that cooked bird bones become brittle and can puncture a dog's digestive tract.

Kind of like someone on a forum or I knew... can't really remember which... that tossed chicken bones to their dog. They insisted that if a dog catches a bird in the wild it is probably going to eat the thing whole which includes the bones. I was never able to convince that cooked bird bones become brittle and can puncture a dog's digestive tract.
Yeah, my understanding is that raw chicken bones are fine. Cooked bones--even beef or pork bones--aren't as safe. My dog devours the bones from deer, elk, and antelope, but I wouldn't feed him cooked bones.

We never gave our dogs chicken bones as a precaution.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't give my dog raw chicken bones either, just to be safe...but I don't see coyotes and foxes dying in droves from eating chickens, grouse, and pheasants. I suspect the raw ones are fine.

Well, just like humans, also parrots do have a certain preference when it comes to food and drinks...
Ours loves to have some licks of the beer bottle... I've tried wine as well... but, no... she stays away from that... View attachment 160982
View attachment 160980
my cockatoo likes coffee . but coffee and alcoholic beverages in small sips are ok. as we know other than that they're toxic.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back