Our New Addition And A Q

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jflowers

Ignore my post count, it means I waffle too much,
Reaction score
R B T A

My Question is this, can our large Brittle star harm it? The star is roughly 14" from tip to tip. Reason i ask is, after putting the bta in, the star came out and looked as if it was trying to wrap itself round the anemone. The anemone showed its disatisfaction by shrinking but the star showed no signs of being stung by the bta. Bta looks fine now btw.

Jon

Seeing that the picture you showed shows a very bleached anemone, the starfish probably sensed that is dying and getting ready to eat it when it does die.

It may not be quite at the stage where it is ready to die, as BTAs can and do pull through bleachings. However, your brittle star is large and powerful enough predate upon the anemone anyways. Just keep feeding the anemone and see what happens is all I can say. Once a day at most, with small portions.

It may not be quite at the stage where it is ready to die, as BTAs can and do pull through bleachings. However, your brittle star is large and powerful enough predate upon the anemone anyways. Just keep feeding the anemone and see what happens is all I can say. Once a day at most, with small portions.

Agreed

However are we sure that's a BTA? Looks like it could also be a Malu or Sebae anemone with the shorter tentacles. Most BTAs have much longer tentacles than that.

definatly a BTA, will post some new pics later. It spent sunday sulking but looks much better now and is taking the mysis offered and its tips have bubbled up nicely which is a good sign i have read.

Jon

[edit]
The promised pic, today...

bta3.jpg

Starfish went back to LFS sunday, just have 2 small brittles now - NOT green ones :good:

[/edit]

Good work :good:

That new pic looks much more BTAish to me, still quite bleached. Keep up with the feedings as it certainly isn't getting much energy from any zooxanthellae.

yeah make sure to keep feeding it, its pretty bleached

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back