Otto or Chinese Algae Eater?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

shmoe

Reaction score
I was at a pet store yesterday and wanted to get an Otto. There was only one left in their tank next to the Chinese Algae Eaters tank. This lone Otto was small, about 2". So, the size was right. However, it was really agressive and was chasing around the other fish in the tank. It also looked very similar to the Chinese Algae Eaters. Not trusting the store, and thinking that they were trying to pose a young Chinese Algae Eater as an Otto to the novice, I decided not to buy it. Was I correct in my assumption? How can you tell an Otto from a Chinese Algae Eater? -_- They looked really similar in color scheme and shape. Plus, this guy was pretty aggressive!

Well, Schmoe, I have Otto cats and they're good at cleaning the tank but you're gonna need 2 or 3 per 10 gallons. My Otto is a light brown with a black stripe from his eyes to his tail. What kind of fish do you have? Mine (Otto) is not aggressive whatsoever. Maybe you were looking at the chinese algae eaters. And besides, I have heard that the chinese algae eaters are really useless and are aggressive, so it was probably a chinese algae eater you saw!

And my Otto's have a white or beige colour belly!

Your assumption was probably correct! Good luck!

Kirstie

shome as Kirsty says your assumption was probably correct.

ottos come in several different kinds - 2" would be a big one ;)

The best advice I could give would be to do the research on the fish you wish to keep and their compatability with what you have (along with their water requirements)...... and never be bullied into buying anything your not 100% sure of what it is.......There is alot of lfs's who are out there just for a quick sale or possibly (more sadly ) don't even know themselves what their selling -_- :( :grr:

:)

Chinese algae eaters and Ottocats do not look similar. It sounds like the fish store was trying to sell you a chinese algue eater. They can be aggresive. Otto Cats are not aggressive at all and I have never seen mine chase other fish.

They're right. My oto gets the occasional nip from my betta when he's in a bad mood.

The oto just swims away, then goes back to eating. He's completely non-aggressive-and about 1" long. I've heard that they get as large as 1.5".

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back