Otos and sids?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
Any opinions on the suitability of a group of otos as tankmates for my dwarf chain loach (ambastaia sidthimunki)

I don't see it being a problem, they won't be competing for food. You might be better with a group of loaches though, they are very sociable fish and are fun to watch a group of them, Otto;s do a job but they can be a fish that you rarely see.

I don't see it being a problem, they won't be competing for food. You might be better with a group of loaches though, they are very sociable fish and are fun to watch a group of them, Otto;s do a job but they can be a fish that you rarely see.
I already have 12 sids - thinking of adding another 6 to make yet another overstocked tank :).

Have wanted otos for a while for their own sake rather than their cleaning ability - I was thinking a group of 12. My biggest concern was that the other 2 tanks don't produce enough algae that I have to clean the glass so I'm not convinced they would support otos - and of course the tanks are already <coff> fully stocked. The sids are in the newest tank and I do have to clean the glass regularly. I'm still working on getting the light / nutrients balance right but in the meantime the wood has all turned a lovely rich shade of green. I won't try to change that because it looks great but I now have a tank that could support otos.

But I am also aware that I moved the sids into their own tank because they were terrorising the corys and ripping the fins on the glowlights in the community tank (they were fine until they reached maturity). On reflection I don't think I am going to risk it...

No worries. Most of my fish are social, aside from the bristenose the smallest group of anything is the 11 sterbai, and they have 19 peppers to stop them feeling lonely ;)

I would think otos OK with loaches. Cories and loaches is a very definite "no" but otos are not on the substrate to feed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back