Otocinclus?

Bruben

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi again!

Iā€™m currently struggling with algae (see my other thread if at all interested) and have had brilliant advice regarding reducing it from this forum.

Then it hit me that I could possibly help the problem further with the addition of some Otocinclus! From what Iā€™ve read, they love algae!

Ideally Iā€™d only be looking to get 3 or 4 but have read on Simply Fish that they need to be in a minimum group of 6. Does anyone have any experience in keeping them in fewer numbers?

Ask away with any questions and any advice/experience would be great :)

Agree. I don't recall the other thread, if this was mentioned or not, but it is crucial here. Fish that will eat algae are very particular as to which algae species they will eat. Otocinclus, Farlowella, Bristlenose, and some other loricariids that are primarily herbivorous and thus eat algae will only eat common green algae or diatoms. They will not touch most all "problem" algae species. There are very few fish that will, and these tend to be inappropriate for most home aquariums because of their size, needing a group, behaviour, etc.

So, first issue is what type of algae. Adding fish that will not help will only make it worse because of the additional bioload, depending upon the species obviously. And @ClownLurch is spot on the mark...never acquire any fish that you do not really want as a contributing member of the aquarium community; solving a problem is not the task of the fish, but the aquarist. :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back