Otocinclus,not many left

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishfinder1973

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I bought a load of otos from my local fish store,24 in all,18 very small ones from one store and 6 bigger ones from another store.
The small ones have been dying on almost a daily basis(or it feels like that).I have a large piece of bog wood in there and I dread lifting it out as I feel it will reveal the skeletal remains of a few more.What I noticed was that their bellies swelled and they would go to the top of the water.All my other fish are fine,it appears to be an oto swim bladder problem or a belly problem.
Could they have digested sand,as their bellies feel hard?

Small Otocinclus catfish need biofilm (slime on the glass and ornaments) and driftwood. Most of them starve when at the importers and shops and they should be avoided if less than 1 inch long.

If you leave the tank light on for longer, it should grow a bit of algae on the glass and that might help.

If you have wood or rocks in the tank, lift them up and check to make sure there aren't any bodies that need removing.

Last edited:
Small Otocinclus catfish need biofilm (slime on the glass and ornaments) and driftwood. Most of them starve when at the importers and shops and they should be avoided is less than 1 inch long.

If you leave the tank light on for longer, it should grow a bit of algae on the glass and that might help.

If you have wood or rocks in the tank, lift them up and check to make sure there aren't any bodies that need removing.
Thanks Colin.The first 18 were about 3/4 inch and they done wonders with the stuff on the plants,cleaned them off.
Well I shall have a word with the shop assistant,that’s well out of order not advising this.They weren’t cheap either,but money aside I hate cruelty and effectively this is what has happened.Gutted.
The other six were about an inch and a quarter—inch and a half and I’m presuming they are ok,I hope.
Are the bigger ones ok with algae Colin?I have plenty in the tank,green algae on the wood.

Thanks Colin.The first 18 were about 3/4 inch and they done wonders with the stuff on the plants,cleaned them off.
Well I shall have a word with the shop assistant,that’s well out of order not advising this.They weren’t cheap either,but money aside I hate cruelty and effectively this is what has happened.Gutted.
The other six were about an inch and a quarter—inch and a half and I’m presuming they are ok,I hope.
Are the bigger ones ok with algae Colin?I have plenty in the tank,green algae on the wood.
i'm afraid green spot algae is harder for some things, my nerites and rams dont eat it.
any diatoms?

The little ones need algae too but they all need biofilm, algae and wood.

It's not the shop's fault. Most shops lose them as well when they put them in a nice clean tank. And most shops and importers don't know about their dietary requirements.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back