Otocinclus not eating!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bettafishlover86

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have had an oto for three weeks. I never see him eating but there is never algae in my tank anymore. I feed him 1 algae wafer every other day just to be sure, but it always breaks down and I never see him eat it. What is he eating? How can I get him to eat algae wafers?

Make sure there is driftwood and algae in the tank at all times.

Increase the lighting time to encourage algae on the glass. You can have lights on for up to 16 hours a day but they need 8 hours of darkness.

You can put smooth rocks and ornaments outside in a bucket of water. Have the bucket in the sun and let algae grow on the rocks. then put one in the tank for the fish. Swap the rocks over regularly so there is a constant supply of food for the catfish.

How lo
Make sure there is driftwood and algae in the tank at all times.

Increase the lighting time to encourage algae on the glass. You can have lights on for up to 16 hours a day but they need 8 hours of darkness.

You can put smooth rocks and ornaments outside in a bucket of water. Have the bucket in the sun and let algae grow on the rocks. then put one in the tank for the fish. Swap the rocks over regularly so there is a constant supply of food for the catfish.
how long does it normally take for the algae to grow on the rocks?

Do you not have a heater? Why is your tank in a place where the water can freeze? Do you keep it on your porch?
Colin advised BFL86 to put some rocks outside in a bucket of water to grow some algae--that's what they're talking about. :) Colin sometimes forgets that it's winter here in the Northern Hemisphere, and many of us live in decidedly non-tropical places. ⛄❄️🌨️🏔️🥶

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back