Otocinclus in sponge filters

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Anthony1976

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone else ever had problems with otos going into their sponge filter tubes ? I think they are going in there to eat algae . Is there any way to stop them doing this?

Suprised they get in with the flow pumping out the tube.
How about putting a fine intake sponge over the outflow pipe.

That way the otos wont get in and the flow shouldnt be too badly effected. Might need some fishing thread to keep it in place.

Attachments

• 20201028_165222.jpg
    20201028_165222.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 109
Wait so are they going into the filters water output? Or into the intake tube where it pulls water in?

Either way a sponge should solve that. Try to get a coarse/large porous one so as to not disturb water flow rate too much. I use one on my intake for tiny fish safety, and on my outflow to reduce surface agitation some for my floating plants.

My pygmy Cory's are constantly picking stuff off my intake sponge or resting on top of it, so added bonus it will build up another source for your oto's to pick through.

Wait so are they going into the filters water output? Or into the intake tube where it pulls water in?

Either way a sponge should solve that. Try to get a coarse/large porous one so as to not disturb water flow rate too much. I use one on my intake for tiny fish safety, and on my outflow to reduce surface agitation some for my floating plants.

My pygmy Cory's are constantly picking stuff off my intake sponge or resting on top of it, so added bonus it will build up another source for your oto's to pick through.
No they are going into the plastic tube of the sponge filters against the bubbles. I think itā€™s because there is algae in the tubes so there heading in there to eat and canā€™t get back out . I havenā€™t lost any yet as I see it before there in too long and tap them out. These otos are healthy and fat , they have ample algae to go at in their heavily planted tank plus a couple of days a week I give them zucchiniā€™s. Iā€™ve had the group of six for around three years.

No they are going into the plastic tube of the sponge filters against the bubbles. I think itā€™s because there is algae in the tubes so there heading in there to eat and canā€™t get back out . I havenā€™t lost any yet as I see it before there in too long and tap them out. These otos are healthy and fat , they have ample algae to go at in their heavily planted tank plus a couple of days a week I give them zucchiniā€™s. Iā€™ve had the group of six for around three years.

Ooohhh I see, jeez I really misunderstood that my bad

You can't block the top of the tube as the bubbles need to come out of it to make the filter work. You could try some large hole net fabric over the top of the tube and draping down the sides (with a hole in the middle for the tubing to go through) and secured with an elastic band. That should allow the bubbles through but stop any fish getting inside. Fine mesh fabric may not let the bubbles through.

You can't block the top of the tube as the bubbles need to come out of it to make the filter work. You could try some large hole net fabric over the top of the tube and draping down the sides (with a hole in the middle for the tubing to go through) and secured with an elastic band. That should allow the bubbles through but stop any fish getting inside. Fine mesh fabric may not let the bubbles through.
This is what I would do, if your sponge filter outputs are like mine. I'd cut the netting from a wider meshed fish net, put it over the output and rubber band it in place, then trim the excess netting from the outside, so water can flow through without a problem, but the otos can't go in. I'm glad mine haven't tried this trick! They must have given you a mini heart attack. I've had to rescue a botia loach from an intake tube, but they're well known for tricks like that :lol:

Thankyou, I will try that.

This is what I would do, if your sponge filter outputs are like mine. I'd cut the netting from a wider meshed fish net, put it over the output and rubber band it in place, then trim the excess netting from the outside, so water can flow through without a problem, but the otos can't go in. I'm glad mine haven't tried this trick! They must have given you a mini heart attack. I've had to rescue a botia loach from an intake tube, but they're well known for tricks like that :lol:
Yes my heart does sink a bit when I see just their tails sticking out but luckily I keep a close eye on the tank not watching fish but looking at my crypts . My wife says I worship them haha .

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back