Oto looking thin

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Phishphace

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I have had my Oto catfish (named Otto, naturally) for just over a year. He's been in the same established tank the whole time. Usually he's a very active fellow, & usually very plump. The last few days I've noticed that he doesn't move around as much and is just sitting on the side of the glass. Yesterday and today I also noticed that his stomach seems to be sunken in, almost like when I first got him, and today there appears to be a mucus string cominqg out of his nose, I'm not sure if that's what it is or not and I can't get a good picture of it.

I do realize that they only live a couple years in captivity. I don't really think this is just him getting old. Has anyone had this issue with their Oto catfish before? Is there anything that can be done for him?
IMG_20200329_142551.jpg
IMG_20200329_142621.jpg
IMG_20200329_142655.jpg
IMG_20200329_142736.jpg

What are your ammonia,nitrate and nitrite levels?

Thanks for the replies

I feed zucchini, cucumber, kale, spinach and garlic. I usually give them fresh food about twice a week, removing immediately the day after.

Ammonia is zero, nitrates are 20ppm or less & nitrites are zero.

Is there any driftwood and algae in the tank?
All suckermouth catfish need driftwood and algae to help their digestion.

If the tank has fluorescent globes above it and has been set up for a year, the globes could be getting old and that would reduce the amount of algae growing on the glass. Increase the lighting period and try to get some algae on the glass and ornaments.

If you have trouble growing algae you could get some small rocks (be sure they are super clean) and put them in a cup of water in a sunny place like your windowsill to grow algae, once it is grown just put in in your tank. You can rotate rocks so you always have a supply

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back