Other Fish Than Cories Eating Algea Wafers. Is This Normal Do Non-Cat

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jazziecatz

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Every time I feed my fish I put in some algae wafers and some fish flakes.  The cories only eat the wafers but the other fish eat both?  Is this normal?

my angels and bolivian ram also eat it so I would say it's normal

I'd say so. My neon tetras and gourami also enjoy algae wafers. Are you feeding your corys something other than the algae wafers? They need protein too, so shrimp pellets would be good to give them if you aren't already.

They need a Varied diet, even though they dont always eat algae doesnt mean they wont.

Well Veggie matter is good for other fish., not only corydoras

Corys are not vegetarian or algae eaters though they will eat veggies & algae wafers if nothing else is available.
They need a high proportion of protein in their diets such as bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp etc plus a good quality catfish pellet

I agree with all the above 
misc-thumbup.gif

You should try feeding some bloodworm, you'll be surprised how well it goes down with all your inmates!

the problem with freeze dried bloodworms is they tend to mainly float on top so only surface eaters can get to them---is it better to soak them in water first to help them sink?

Freeze bried bloodworm should always be soaked before feeding or they can cause digestive problems

Yeah, they need to be soaked for a while...

I tend to just use frozen bloodworm though and defrost a cube in a shot glass of tank water before feeding :)

I ask that you stop feeding your cories "algae wafers" they are not 'algae eaters'.  Most catfish are actually carnivorous, and therefore require a high protein diet.  Shrimp pellets should be the staple, with occasional supplements of bloodworms (frozen are far better than freeze-dried) and other materials, like algae wafers, flake food, veggies, etc.  These should be a minor portion of their diet, while the lionshare of the diet should be high protein foods like shrimp pellets.

Cories are VERY different from plecos and need to be fed accordingly.

All of the above, for good health and development corys should be fed both vegetable and meaty foods.
Apart from that, all fish love algae wafers :) But most fish just eat everything anyway. The corys are slow eaters and are bullied by many fish so if you see they can't compete try buying some of the mini wafers(Hikari, New life spectrum, New era, etc..) and feed them those as they are small and the corys can grab them and eat them faster rather than being bullied over a couple of big wafers.
I've been doing that myself for years now, don't bother buying big wafers anymore apart for my plecos but they are not easily outcompeted and like rasping on those.

Oh and some Weekly feedings of cyclop and tubifex worms would do them wonders.

I do agree with those saying that they dont eat algae only. THey may be bottom feeders but dont eat primarily algae.

Cheers
biggrin.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back