Osmocote V Seachem Flourish Root Tabs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ch4rlie

Moderate Moderating Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have just finished my last 40tabs bag of Seachem Flourish Root Tabs and having had a look online to replenish my supply of this and finding the prices ranging from £25 to £30 which is not exactly cheap.

I had a look at some reviews of Seachem Flourish Root Tabs, it is generally accepted as fairly good substrate tabs for root feeder plants but I am now seeing there is another option that rivals this, if not better, Osmocote+ which you put into a gelatine capsule which dissolves in the substrate after a length of time and many planted folks seems to think this holds more nutrients than Seachem. Both of these appear to be relatively cheap to purchase and will last quite some time.

Overall it seems the Osmocote+ is cheaper and better for plants compared to Seachem Flourish Root Tabs.

I am wondering if other folks have used one or both of these products and perhaps may have alternative options that may work better.

Some more information that may be relevant -

I have 3 tanks, all differ in their nutrients to be honest.

One tank has co2, EI ferts given twice a week and fairly high output T5 lights.
(Some algae issues arising with this,  so work required on this one
nugget.gif
)

Another tank has moderate T8 lights and given EI ferts but no co2, this seems to work and not had any issues at all along with plants being pretty healthy and growing well. No algae at all.

Lastly, the litle 20 litre low tech tank is just given once a week dosage of Tropica Premium liquid fertiliser. No algae either in this tank.

ALL tanks has had Seachem Flourish Root Tabs added into the substrate. And also on same day of water changes, I add Tropica Premium Liquid Fertiliser in varying doses for each tank.

I would not use Osmocote, though I know some do.  If you check this forum, you will find a thread (from maybe a month or two back) where problem algae was being attributed to the nutrients in Osmocote, and discontinuing these solved the problem.  Osmocote is a terrestrial plant fertilizer, and terrestrial plants require different nutrients from aquatic.  There is too much nitrate and phosphorus (phosphate) in Osmocote, and aside from being bad for fish is almost guaranteed to cause algae issues depending upon everything else.

I personally use Seachem Tabs, because I can get nothing better.  There used to be another product made by Nutrafin, called Plant-Gro Sticks, that was incredible.  I have been unable to find this anywhere during the past 5-6 years, so I assume it is no longer available.  Same, as it was really good.  One stick lasted a year, and the swords I had next to these were double the size of the same species without the stick.

I only use these next to specific plants.  Large swords, aponogeton and red tiger lotus have benefited noticeably from one tab every three months.  I use liquid fertilizers too, exclusively in most tanks.

Byron.

That IS interesting, I did not actually realise that osmocote is a terrestrial plant fertilizer.

Though I am now a bit confused, the only reason I really wanted to investigate this further as Tom Barr does say he thinks its worth investigating further though he does not use it himself and he does however recommend not to use too much of it.

Perhaps it may be the case that using too much osmocote is contributing on the algae growth you speak of.

Hmm, think that further research is warranted. Thanks Byron.

Ch4rlie said:
That IS interesting, I did not actually realise that osmocote is a terrestrial plant fertilizer.

Though I am now a bit confused, the only reason I really wanted to investigate this further as Tom Barr does say he thinks its worth investigating further though he does not use it himself and he does however recommend not to use too much of it.

Perhaps it may be the case that using too much osmocote is contributing on the algae growth you speak of.

Hmm, think that further research is warranted. Thanks Byron.

Remember that Tom Barr is not a fish hobbyist, but a planted tank aquarist.  I have had several discussions with him on plant issues.  His high-tech approach is quite different than the opposite.  But clearly he seems to recognize the likely problems here, hence his cautionary note.

I will just digress a moment.  For close to two years now I have battled a problem in my largest tank (nothing in the others) which has come down to being some sort of organically-induced diatom/bacterial bloom.  I've had marine biologists, microbiologists, and my friend Neale Monks looking into this, so we're fairly certain of the issue.  But the cause has escaped all of us.  Early on, one issue identified by all these sources concerned the additives for plants.  I completely discontinued all plant additives in this tank as part of the process in finding the cause, and it did lessen the problem.  Point I am making though is that one does not want to be adding more of these than is absolutely necessary, as all sorts of trouble may result.  At the very least, these things are getting inside the fish.  In my situation, I have been very surprised to see that discontinuing these additives has not caused any detriment to the plants, which are still growing like weeds.  Which only shows how unnecessary some if not all of this stuff has been at least in this tank. 

The idea of using Osmocote began as a cheap (much less expensive) substrate fertilizer in aquaria.  Each tank is biologically different of course, but it is easy to throw off the natural balance by introducing such substances.  The closed confines of an aquarium is not like your garden where the broad expanse of nature factors in to moderate excesses somewhat.  I personally would never put Osmocote in a tank with fish.  And the high nitrate and phosphate level is an issue in itself for fish and plants/algae.

Thank you Byron, that is the sort of exact feedback I wanted to hear with logical reasoning.

Much appreciated.

Well, I can tell you that I have been using Osmocote in my 55 gallon tank with ZERO algae trouble.  

I put the osmocote into gelatin capsules and then pushed the capsules into the substrate around the base of my heavy root feeders (crypts and swords).  Neer a problem with algae.  I can't remember the last time I saw algae in that tank.  Now, in saying that I will mention that I do have a BN pleco and he's always been very good about cleaning up any algae that does come along, but I haven't seen any increase since I switched to osmocote about a year and a half ago.  I haven't had algae of any kind in that tank since I got him - about 5 years ago or so.

Hmm, you think the BN is taking care of ANY algae or just certain types like green spot algae or similar?

Interesting anecdote tbh.

One for and one against now.......

Don't know what algae he takes care of, its gone before I see it.

Byron said:
I would not use Osmocote, though I know some do.  If you check this forum, you will find a thread (from maybe a month or two back) where problem algae was being attributed to the nutrients in Osmocote, and discontinuing these solved the problem.  Osmocote is a terrestrial plant fertilizer, and terrestrial plants require different nutrients from aquatic.  There is too much nitrate and phosphorus (phosphate) in Osmocote, and aside from being bad for fish is almost guaranteed to cause algae issues depending upon everything else.

I personally use Seachem Tabs, because I can get nothing better.  There used to be another product made by Nutrafin, called Plant-Gro Sticks, that was incredible.  I have been unable to find this anywhere during the past 5-6 years, so I assume it is no longer available.  Same, as it was really good.  One stick lasted a year, and the swords I had next to these were double the size of the same species without the stick.

I only use these next to specific plants.  Large swords, aponogeton and red tiger lotus have benefited noticeably from one tab every three months.  I use liquid fertilizers too, exclusively in most tanks.

Byron.
I believe that thread was mine

I had since solved the problems and use osmocote now and I have a better tank than before.

I use gel capsules and put them inside that so it leaks out the ferts and minerals slowly, not all at once.

I have a single T5 light and I am going to start trying my Co2 again soon. I have a little bit of algae here and there but it is not noticeable unless you search for it. It's only like on a couple plant leaves directly under the light;, and thats it. Other than that my tank is doing great. I use a tab of osmocote for each "hand" of space. 

Try with a couple, wait a month, then increase and see how it works.

My pearlweed goes insane when I use osmocote, I literally have a bush of it where I have to trim it twice a week.

Also one of the arguably best aquascapers on youtube, ADU Aquascaping, uses osmocote DIY tabs himself.

I've not used Osmocote but I have had great results with Seachem root tabs, particularly with swords.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back