Osmocote Plus Root Tabs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishyFiend19

Reaction score
How many osmocote plus root tabs would be enough for a 40 gallon breeder?

The plants that I am thinking about at this time are java fern, java moss, amazon sword, anubias, pygmy chain sword, water wisteria, hornwort, and marimo moss balls.

Thanx in advance.

It is not advisable to use these tabs in an aquarium. For one thing, they are intended for terrestrial plants which have different nutrient requirements from aquatic plants. And second they have been known to cause water quality issues. And they may/will increase nitrate which is not good for fish.

If you want substrate tabs, there is Seachem's Flourish Tabs. The API tabs are another, though there are reports of issues using these. I have never had problems with the Flourish Tabs in ten years now. [Nutrafin used to make a Plant Gro Stick which was incredible, but these are no longer manufactured for some reason, at least I cannot find them anywhere online.]

Having said that, the only plants in your list that will benefit from substrate tabs are the larger swords (Amazon swords); the Flourish Tabs do really improve growth with these plants, and you use 1 next to each plant that is replaced every 3-4 months. But Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias and moss balls take up nutrients fro the water column so you need a comprehensive liquid fertilizer for those. And stem plants (wisteria, hornwort) will be fine with liquid fertilizer. The chain sword too, I have this thriving in my tanks with just the liquid.

For the liquid, there is Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the planted Aquarium. Or Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti.

I was all over the internet in trying to find quality but not high priced root tablets and it came right back to Flourish for aquarium plants as all others create headaches..too strong usually. Flourish is 32% Iron. So,I just bypassed that and went for the 100% iron as people well know.
I still think Seachem iron has something besides iron...it too does a number on hair algae as Flourish is said to do. Maybe good for sales that Seachem Iron will do that when other brands wont.
If they do have additives to iron as I'm just speculating all over the place!

Many of the plants you listed absorb what they need from the water, what roots they grow are for anchoring themselves. For those plants I use Seachem Flourish at 1/2 dosage. The plants that absorb what they need with their roots I use Seachem root tabs.

I was at Big Lots,and saw Miracle Gro houseplant fertilizer sticks for $2. Ok,I thought maybe my Lotus in sand and other plants might help with a boost. So far,I've seen no real boost in plants,but a boost in algae? yes!
Its mild,and the next water change should drop phosphates in half at least
So far nothing I have tried,EVER,has worked as well or as fast as Iron gluconate. I guess I was hoping to see a similar reaction from the sticks..but no.

I've found seachem's flourish tabs to be effective, but pricey. I'm still looking cheaper solution. I go through a pack of root tabs like nothing.

On a side note, thank you for this post. Seachem's root tabs are on sale on amazon for $4.43. That is by far the cheapest I've seen them and I would have never looked it up without this post.

I notice with tabs..they don't do numbers like 6-12-6,instead they go the 0.23% iron,.01 Boron,etc.
Makes it hard to compare or know what strength the things are. But I tell,I would trust Seachem products to do what you want over others that can be a real guessing game or worse..poisoning.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back