Oscars in a 220g indoor pond

Horton4

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am not knew to fish keeping in the respects that I have experience with aquariums and maintaining water quality. I am an environmental science student so I understand the importance of balancing an appropriate environment. I am new however to larger fish species and their requirements. I have a 220g indoor pond that I would like to stock with Oscars. I would like to get 6, but I know this may be unrealistic with oscars. What I would like to know, is this because they will not have enough space or because of their biological load? If it is biological can I solve this by adding extra plumbing there is already a pond filter fitted for 300g and a canister fitted for a 100g. Along with air stones and quite a few plants. I will also be doing weekly water changes. So with all of this would it be possible to house 6 oscars?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The main issue you will have is space due to territories when they mature. A mature pair of Oscar cichlids will pretty much want the entire tank/ pond as their territory and there is a chance they will kill everyone else in it.

Having said this, the best way to get a mature pair of cichlids is to put 8-10 young fish in the pond and let them grow up together. When they mature they will form pairs and start setting up territories. When that happens you monitor the fish and remove any fish that is being bullied.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back