Feeding time

Attachments

• DSC00777.JPG
    DSC00777.JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 295
  • DSC00898.JPG
    DSC00898.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 125
I am prompted to write this story because of the Oscar Thread this morning and the OP being put off keeping Oscars. I am not the best story writer in the world, but bare with me. This story doesn't have a happy ending so I would suggest grab a beer, glass of wine or Whiskey and a box of tissues maybe.
Are you ready comfortable here is the story of Charlie and The Mrs.

Well I had been breeding Severums for a while in a community tank but wanted a new challenge. I decided on Oscars, what I would do is try and raise a breeding pair and the let them raise their young. At this stage I had 10 large tanks in the house so another one wasn't going to matter. I got hold of some glass and built a 48x18x18 tank, Built a stand we were in action. I found 3 golden Oscars about 4 inches long. Not what I wanted but Marbles just didn't seem to be around anymore. In they went, and they grew. Eventually 2 of them decided to hang out together and the other one was left out of all the fun. I had spent a lot of time with these fish because I knew if they spawned I didn't want them to be scared of me. Charlie was always Charlie he was the only one that would hand feed the other two were just fish. I have never named fish really but Charlie was Charlie. So the decision was made old sulky guts was to go to a new home, and I then had two Oscars. These two grew and grew. At about 10-11 inches long they decided to rearrange their home. Gravel got moved, rocks got moved the internal filter got thrown around. I knew that this was the start of something, when I was at high school I had written a paper on the spawning behavior of Cichlids. This was the start. I was very careful never to rearrange their home, they liked it messy fine with me. The tank most of the time looked like a bomb had gone off, but Charlie and his mate were happy. One day I arrived home and as soon as walked into that room I new, you could tell by the sparkle in the old boys eye and the way she looked completely disinterested in his antics, they had eggs. That was great they were going to be the best parents in the world. No they ate their eggs, and then these guys spawned and they ate their eggs, and then these guys....... You get the picture.
Something had to change. I had a mate who was keen on fish, he had a wife who had suffered with fish for years. We would build a new tank put it in the spare room of his house. Peace and quiet for the Oscars. The wife would never know. I got hold of some glass, and built the "Mansion" 72x24x24 inches on a new stand. We will move Charlie and The Mrs. over lock stock and barrel.
Plan worked ( the wife did find out about the tank ), Charlie and The Mrs. now had the home of their dreams. They started to lay eggs and they ate them, and they layed eggs and they ......you can see where I am going with this. Anyhow it was decided that these two had moved into the "Mansion" had no intention of raising a family and just enjoyed having Caviar every now and again. My mate wanted some tank mates for Charlie and The Mrs. so it was decided on two Bichir. I found a couple from a wholesaler about 5inches long. More than two bites for Charlie. I feared for their lives but in they went.
Charlie and The Mrs stopped laying eggs. The Bichir grew and everything was great. Then one morning The Mrs was dead. I always thought one of the Bichir had given her a tickle in the middle of the night and she had knocked herself out and drowned. Charlie he died shortly after, I think of a broken heart. The Bichir took over the "Mansion".

So the purpose of this is don't let your fish dreams be ruined by others. Bigger isn't always best. We as humans make some pretty bad decisions along the way that can kill our loved fish.

Please get your Oscars and enjoy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back