Oscar With Convicts?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ExR

Reaction score
I have a large tank with a mid-sized tiger Oscar + a Pleco. They have been living together for over 2 years. Tbh my tank setup has got somewhat boring. Although I do appreciate my Oscar, he doesn't do much! The Plec is just there to keep the glass looking nice and obviously he doesn't do anything until the light goes off. Occasionally my Oscar likes to pick on him but he CBA to chase him around the tank. It's never anything more than a little head bump tbh.

I'm looking to add some tank mates. I know that generally, an Oscar tank mate should be big enough to defend itself and certainly shouldn't be able to fit in the Oscar's mouth. However, I want to add two smaller fish. I was thinking of perhaps adding two fully grown Convicts. I've had these before and they are very entertaining to watch. However, my Oscar may also agree with me on that one and that might be a problem... What are your thoughts? Is it feasible? If not, what do you suggest instead?

Cheers

ExR

You don't actually state the size of your tank, so it may or not work given the size. An oscar and a common plec are both very messy fish, so if you intend to add 2 convicts I would say a tank of AT LEAST 120 gallons would be needed.

There might also be aggression issues with the oscar thinking the tank is entirely their territory, so I would keep an eye on it. Given you have adequate filtration/tank space I would give it a go. Perhaps re-arrange tank decor a bit and keep a good watch on it.

i have kept oscars and convicts
together it was OK right up till
when the convicts started breeding
and i had to take the oscars out
as as the got a good beating from
the convicts :blink:

As stated, depends on tank size and ultimately your oscars temperment, which you will not know until you try, fish kept in tank with oscars might be fine, adding new fish to the tank a couple of years down the line, may not get accpected, or may take over, but it can be done, ive done it enough times without major issues, so what size tank, and the measurements please, helps a great deal :good:

If I didn't see it myself I would not of believed it.My local lfs has one of many 120 gal tanks,in one particular one there was a large red devil,and a large oscar up in the top corner of the front of the tank tight together.Looked in the centre of the tank,and there was a 4" female convict and a 5"male with a bunch of fry.If either one of the other two fish made the slightest move from the corner he rushed up to them and gave them a good nip.
Just because your oscar is a lot bigger than your con's if you get them,if they breed, look out.
Good luck and I also think give it a try but just keep a close watch on them.

I have a large tank with a mid-sized tiger Oscar + a Pleco. They have been living together for over 2 years. Tbh my tank setup has got somewhat boring. Although I do appreciate my Oscar, he doesn't do much! The Plec is just there to keep the glass looking nice and obviously he doesn't do anything until the light goes off. Occasionally my Oscar likes to pick on him but he CBA to chase him around the tank. It's never anything more than a little head bump tbh.

I'm looking to add some tank mates. I know that generally, an Oscar tank mate should be big enough to defend itself and certainly shouldn't be able to fit in the Oscar's mouth. However, I want to add two smaller fish. I was thinking of perhaps adding two fully grown Convicts. I've had these before and they are very entertaining to watch. However, my Oscar may also agree with me on that one and that might be a problem... What are your thoughts? Is it feasible? If not, what do you suggest instead?

Cheers

ExR

At two years old, your Oscar should be close to ten or twelve inches long and I should think nothing but the largest convict's would be needed if you chose to place them with the Adult Oscar.

I have a mating pair of convicts about 2.5 and 3",male being the bigger one but with my pair they share a tank with a big male flowerhorn and female red devil.The convicts never challenge him as he is a "loose cannon" so to speak and he constantly moves ornaments and rocks to try and get them.
Thank goodness they have good hiding spots and seem to carry on fine.
Bottom line it depends on the type of fish and their attitudes I believe.

I have kept convicts with oscars and found they more than hold their own against a fully grown oscar

I have kept convicts with oscars and found they more than hold their own against a fully grown oscar

I have kept both species together as well, and found just the opposite.Thus my suggestion of full grown convicts for Adult Oscar.Personally,, you couldn't GIVE me a convict.
I have found that on many of these forums,,all one has to do is make a suggestion as to suitable tankmates or ,,unsuitable tankmates, and all manner of folks will, and do, make claims valid,or otherwise with regards to the compatibility of one species with another and I have no doubt that some have indeed witnessed fishes that should not get along do so.
In the end,probability(odds),, far outweigh the suggestions ,expieriences of others IMHO.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back