Oscar Tank Size (yet another)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MAM

Mamalammadingdong
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
well, my boyfriend has revealed to me that while he does like my puffers and couldn't care less about my community fish, he WOULD be interested in setting up a 180 or 200 gal tank when we get into a house (with a ground floor for a big tank that can be set up and not moved again :lol: ). he loves the tiger oscars, i love the albino tigers. we were thinking at least one of each, but if we could fit another that'd be great. how many fully grown oscars could live in either the 180 or a 200 gal US tank, along with some larger catfish (one or two maybe)? also, just what large catfish would work with them?

200g tank would hold 3 full grown Oscars for life. :nod:

Not sure about the catfish tho, I haven't really ever had fish that allows them in the tank but Oscars won't usually mess with cats.

One of our lfs has a 225gal tank set-up and they had three adult Oscars, 1 plec (he was huge), and 1 catfish/shark looking fish (remember...Juan is the fish expert in our house...I am still learning). All the fish in the tank seemed pretty happy and had plenty of room to "groove". :D

:kana: doin' a little happy dance. yay!!!!! three it is then. won't be for a year or so, but at least now i know :D

MANY_A_MOLLY said:
:kana:  doin' a little happy dance.  yay!!!!!  three it is then.  won't be for a year or so, but at least now i know :D
Yayyyyy!!! Great selection of fish, MAM. You'll love them! :thumbs: :)

(remember...Juan is the fish expert in our house...I am still learning)

You're in great hands then, Carrie. :nod:

I wanted to say I think it's great you are interested in learning about cichlids.

btw, make sure you get a labiatusxcitrinellus sometime. You want to talk about personality and aggro? My fav. :smb:

I have a 125 g tank with 2 Tiger oscars around 10" each and 1 Albino Oscar around 8" long and a Jack Dempsey which is about 6" long and a small catfish and I have had no problems so far

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back