April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Captain holt

Reaction score
Hey guys Iā€™ve recently upgraded to an 8ft x 2ft tank for my two oscars and one fire mouth. Currently using two canister filters; 1800L p/h and 2200L p/h. Fine black gravel substrate and planted with blue stricta.
Iā€™m wanting a little advice on some stocking ideas.
I was thinking a Senegal bichir or some kind of catfish for the bottom of the tank.
But I also want to add some larger mid dwellers. I love oddball fish like arowanas and others that Iā€™ve probably never seen in my lfs. I really love the look of black ghost knifeā€™s but from what Iā€™ve read online itā€™s pretty hit and miss with their compatibility with oscars.
I really dislike the look of silver dollars but it seems that theyā€™re what most people recommend for Oscar tank mates.
If I do get a Senegal birch or/some kind of cat fish could I still add a small school of clown loaches? Or would the bio load be too much? Thank you guys in advance!

Hey guys Iā€™ve recently upgraded to an 8ft x 2ft tank for my two oscars and one fire mouth. Currently using two canister filters; 1800L p/h and 2200L p/h. Fine black gravel substrate and planted with blue stricta.
Iā€™m wanting a little advice on some stocking ideas.
I was thinking a Senegal bichir or some kind of catfish for the bottom of the tank.
But I also want to add some larger mid dwellers. I love oddball fish like arowanas and others that Iā€™ve probably never seen in my lfs. I really love the look of black ghost knifeā€™s but from what Iā€™ve read online itā€™s pretty hit and miss with their compatibility with oscars.
I really dislike the look of silver dollars but it seems that theyā€™re what most people recommend for Oscar tank mates.
If I do get a Senegal birch or/some kind of cat fish could I still add a small school of clown loaches? Or would the bio load be too much? Thank you guys in advance!
That firemouth do alright with the big boys? Arowana get massive (need a pond when mature), and I'm not sure on senegal bichirs. Some larger barbs could work, and for bottom dwellers you could get a few more firemouths.
@Wills is the cichlid wizz here :).

Not sure on compatibility issues with the Oscar but a how about couple full grown Bala Sharks?

One of our members recently had a 7" Oscar hoover up his new 4" Silver Dolllars, so be aware of the size differences.......
Yeah donā€™t do it lol my Oscar was a demon though maybe you will have better luck

Wowee! what a tank very jelous!

As mentioned above Oscars are always very hit and miss and are a bit of a minefield to work out what to keep with them. How big are your Oscars now? That could dictate what and how you add fish to this tank.

I think you are on the right track with the fish you have suggested but it will be getting them at a good enough size that the Oscars wont see them as food...

Wills

Been thinking about this thread and was thinking of a few more fish that might be worth a try - flagtail prochilodus could work but might be expensive donā€™t keep them on their own get a group. Pink tailed chalceus could be a good option too. Some of the bigger synodontis might work also like decorous

That firemouth do alright with the big boys? Arowana get massive (need a pond when mature), and I'm not sure on senegal bichirs. Some larger barbs could work, and for bottom dwellers you could get a few more firemouths.
@Wills is the cichlid wizz here :).
Hahah yeah my fire mouth has more ā€œfireā€ than both my oscars combined . My oscars are very docile but theyā€™re both still juvies. My albino red Oscar is about 5 inches and my albino tiger is about 3 inches long. My only issue with other firemouths is the aggression between the males. I had to put the other firemouth I had in there, in my 4ft tank because he just kept getting bullied by the original. My LFS canā€™t tell the difference between males and females and I cant tell the difference either because the FMā€™s they stock are so young.

Wowee! what a tank very jelous!

As mentioned above Oscars are always very hit and miss and are a bit of a minefield to work out what to keep with them. How big are your Oscars now? That could dictate what and how you add fish to this tank.

I think you are on the right track with the fish you have suggested but it will be getting them at a good enough size that the Oscars wont see them as food...

Wills
Hehehe yeah Iā€™m definitely lucky to have found one this size near me!
My largest Oscar is at about 5 inches or just under but theyā€™re still juvies so even though both of them have great temperaments at the moment Iā€™m worried that as they get older theyā€™re aggression will increase. They had no problems with the other two oscars I used to have in their old 6ft tank even when the other two oscars would go around trying to attack everything (hence why I gave them away). If you have any experience with Senegal birchirs would you know if a small school of clown loaches would be alright with them?
Also what is your opinion on maybe 4 or 5 Severums?
If severums would work how does this sound:

- two oscars
- 3-4 severums
- one firemouth
- 5-6 clown loaches
- potentially 1 Senegal birchir if the bio load isnā€™t too much and if theyā€™re compatible with clown loaches.

My main worry with this setup would be the clown loaches because of how big they get. I think Iā€™d have to upgrade my filtration pretty soon after I put them in because of their bio load.

Been thinking about this thread and was thinking of a few more fish that might be worth a try - flagtail prochilodus could work but might be expensive donā€™t keep them on their own get a group. Pink tailed chalceus could be a good option too. Some of the bigger synodontis might work also like decorous
Alright two fish that I absolutely love!! I have considered getting a school of flag tails however in the past while they were incredibly good at devouring any algae growth, they also destroyed my plants my tank is pretty barren at the moment but Iā€™m planning on planting a bunch of vals in the back and then getting a large drift wood centre piece and planting some swords/ferns in the middle. So they would absolutely destroy my plants . Iā€™ve never actually kept pink tailed chalceus before but I love how fast they are and they are pretty interesting to watch.

severum, chocolate cichlid, blue acara, geophagus, paratilapia bleekeri

Avoid large very aggressive fish from central american like jack dempsey, red devil, and jaguar.

Also, I'm sure that this has been mentioned already, but anything that fits in its mouth is food.

severum, chocolate cichlid, blue acara, geophagus, paratilapia bleekeri

Avoid large very aggressive fish from central american like jack dempsey, red devil, and jaguar.

Also, I'm sure that this has been mentioned already, but anything that fits in its mouth is food.
Ooooo! Chocolate cichlid! Nice one :).

In your tank I like the idea of Severums. The birchir are fine but pretty boring, they really just sit all day. Pink tailed chalceus would be really cool. Size wise your Oscars are still babies. In a tank that size you could get a couple more. I had a mate he had 5 full grown Oscars in a 6' tank it was really cool. They would play fight all day. Nothing like two full grown Oscars mouth wrestling.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back