Oscar seems to have a problem eating

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Henry Weldon

Reaction score
I have a small oscar, and he is small for a reason. He has an appetite but he does not seem able to swallow food very well. no matter how small or soft you make something, he seems to work it to death with his mouth. Then spits it out, sucks it back in. He can spend 15 minutes eating a small pellet or a piece of shrimp. He eventually gets some food down as I will see a little belly bulge, but I literally have to feed him all day. His maybe 3 - 4 inches, so not an infant anymore. Not sure there is a great solution, but he is so slow to eat, I have to isolate him to make sure he gets any food. Anyone one every heard of this? Defect in his pharyngeal teeth?

I have a small oscar, and he is small for a reason. He has an appetite but he does not seem able to swallow food very well. no matter how small or soft you make something, he seems to work it to death with his mouth. Then spits it out, sucks it back in. He can spend 15 minutes eating a small pellet or a piece of shrimp. He eventually gets some food down as I will see a little belly bulge, but I literally have to feed him all day. His maybe 3 - 4 inches, so not an infant anymore. Not sure there is a great solution, but he is so slow to eat, I have to isolate him to make sure he gets any food. Anyone one every heard of this? Defect in his pharyngeal teeth?
all my pearl gouramis do this with brine shrimp and vegetable flowers
they chew, spit it out, and feed on the little particles. Do you have photos of the said fish?

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish?
Any other fish in the tank?

It can be caused by poor water quality or an infection in the mouth/ throat area.

---------------------
WHAT TO DO NOW
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use them. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Post clear pictures and video of the fish so we can check them for diseases.
You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If there's no improvement after a few water changes, add some salt, (see directions below).

---------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Tank is 125 gallons had has 3 fish. Been setup for 4 months. Had the fish for 3 months. 2 of them are oscars that were roughly the same size when they were added.. The one was definitely the dwarf of the batch we picked from. Making me think this might have been an issue before we even got him. Now he is less than 1/2 the size of the other one. The only way to even feed him is to partition the tank. He does get bullied by the larger one and is highly codependent. Even when they are separated and he can eat at will, he eats very slowly in general. It is the time he spends working it in his mouth that concerns me most.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10.. The only issue I have water wise is brown algae. So doing frequent water changes, but suspect the silicates in the pool sand is the culprit. However given the perfect health and appetite of the other Oscar and catfish, it would seem to be more of an individual issue with the one fish.

Video attached. You can see the other Oscar through the partition gobbling up everything in site. Appreciate all your insight.

Attachments

• 20220403_102426_357450706452495.zip
    13.6 MB · Views: 41
It's either an infection or genetic deformity. You can try salt for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. If not, then maybe a broad spectrum fish medication.

Think I should put him in a separate tank to do that? Eventually work the salt back to 0 and then move him back if he gets better?

I hate to give up on him since he seems healthy otherwise. Other than being a "special needs fish".

I cannot , for the life of me , think of any fish that I would rather have than an Oscar. Their temperament and attitude is unique to aquarium fish. If I could have a really big tank I wouldn't have to think more than one second what was going in it. Oscars are the one fish that can actually become a true pet. I once helped a friend with his water changes in his Oscar tank and one of them gave me a little love bite. It didn't hurt but it scared me pretty good. I didn't see him sneaking up on me. Well, I screamed and jumped back and after I composed myself I looked at the tank and I swear that Oscar was laughing at me.

@Henry Weldon . I was thinking further and thought I once heard of something unique to Oscars. Something called "Hole in the Head" disease. Perhaps @Colin_T was referring to this. If memory serves it is a parasite caused by poor water quality. I do know for a fact that Oscars dump like German Shepherds and require massive near daily water changes. Maybe someone else can expand on this as my knowledge is limited on this subject.

I cannot , for the life of me , think of any fish that I would rather have than an Oscar. Their temperament and attitude is unique to aquarium fish. If I could have a really big tank I wouldn't have to think more than one second what was going in it. Oscars are the one fish that can actually become a true pet. I once helped a friend with his water changes in his Oscar tank and one of them gave me a little love bite. It didn't hurt but it scared me pretty good. I didn't see him sneaking up on me. Well, I screamed and jumped back and after I composed myself I looked at the tank and I swear that Oscar was laughing at me.
Well the 2 I have do have very unique personalities. One turns dark when he gets mad. When I separate them, they sit on the bottom and look at each other through the divider acting depressed. The little one is reluctant, but will come up and gently take from my hand. The big one will practically jump out of the tank if he sees food in my hand even a few inches above the water. The last pair of Oscars that I had, years ago would sit side my side and watch TV. They are fun. The big ones does his little food dance, then stops. While being perfectly still his eyes look up, then he looks at me. You can just hear him saying. "Well?"

@Henry Weldon . I was thinking further and thought I once heard of something unique to Oscars. Something called "Hole in the Head" disease. Perhaps @Colin_T was referring to this. If memory serves it is a parasite caused by poor water quality. I do know for a fact that Oscars dump like German Shepherds and require massive near daily water changes. Maybe someone else can expand on this as my knowledge is limited on this subject.
I have had that problem with Oscars in the past. Since I have a brown Algae problem, I am doing more then usual water changes too. You are right, the are Oscar Madison's or the fish world. That said I have been vacuuming and doing a lot to keep up with them. They are only 3 small fish in a 125 gallon tank at the moment. If I had this issue with all of them I would not think twice about assuming a water quality issue. I think this was an issue before we even got him. Like I said, he was the runt of the liter and probably not by accident. I will be keeping an eye on him. I literally sit right in front of them all day long since working from home. Never a dull moment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back