Oscar Pond?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Looks great nutcase . :nod:

Those fish going from the 125 into the pond ?

That 125 would be great for dwarf cichids :eek: :lol:

I've been thinking about ponds now , between this thread and suggestions made on another . :blink:

Same here lucky. And I agree, that 125 would be a GREAT dward tank. Or how about some Jewel Cichlids B).

jewels002.jpg

My little guys :D

--Dan

I have a probable home for 3 of the 5 Pacus... this will make life a lot easier. I'm almost afraid to put the Pacus in the pond as it will prompt a growth spirt that I'm not in a hurry to deal with. I don't want to confine them... but don't want to give them too much space either... The 3 Os in the 125 will most likely go into the pond when the juvi Os (I'm originally stocking the pond with 12 juvi Os) get big enough. I'm sure they will grow amazingly fast with that much space.

I figured I would start the dwarfs in the 55. When the Pacus move out and the 3 Os I have now move into the pond, the 125 will be empty with no plan. So if I'm really feeling the dwarfs they will move in and I will have an empty 55. However it works out, between the pond, the 125, the 55 and the 29 (oh and I get a 40 high when the 3 Pacus move out)... I think I have plenty tank space for a while (a few more months at least... but shhh... donā€™t tell the girlfriend).

Alsoā€¦ a message to anyone considering building an indoor pondā€¦

It was a pretty huge endeavor and is far from over. It was also much more of a money pit than I originally planned. At the same time it will open me up for some great opportunities to watch fish grow in such an environment. If you arenā€™t worried about ambience, I found a 1200 Gal kiddie pool that I almost got instead (link below). A part of me now wishes I had. (double the gallon age for much less money). I also still have hopes of getting that pool in addition to my pondā€¦ but thatā€™s a long ways off (at least 3 months :p )

If you would be just as happy with a more shallow pond, making one 1.5ā€™ or so deep would be A LOT easier and less expensive. I reviewed some design numbers with an engineer from work and although we couldnā€™t come up with exact pressure calculations, we knew it would be a lot and beefed it up a lot.

I would be more than happy to share the design of my pond with anyone interested as well as some early design ideas for more shallow ponds. Iā€™m trying to talk my girl friend into having me build her a smaller (2ā€™ x 3ā€™ @ 1ā€™ deep) pond to go next to mine (since she wont ever see me anymore unless sheā€™s downstairs). From everything we could gather, depth is what quickly increases pressure on your side walls. So the more shallow you go, the less beefy you need to make it, therefore the cheaper materials will be.

Just food for thoughtā€¦ but before you put much weight into my thoughtsā€¦ letā€™s see if mine holds up !! :huh:

Link to kiddie pool here!

I'm thinking a composite out door pond , preformed , something that can give me varied levels , and shape [ L] , maybe something that takes up a corner . :huh:

Of course it will be raised off the ground , need plumbing , carpentry , masonry and aquascaping :blink: and that's not all ...........Holy crap you're right :lol:

outdoor pond on Long Island... can I come ice skating in the winter?!?!??!?

:lol: It's made for outside , but I would put it in my basement .

ahhhhhhhhh... If you own your home (I'm renting or else I would have gone this way)... Your options open up alot. I found several sites with concrete pond ideas. Also since I do foundational concrete inspections, I know a good little bit about concrete strength and so forth. I spend hours each week altering my design for a mega L shaped pond. If you ever get to the point where it's looking like a probable reality and you are approaching the design stage contact me and I'll throw some ideas atcha. I saw several small things that I would do different from any of the concrete indoor ponds I've seen online. Several of my little differences will make it cheaper as well as stronger. (I'm really good at planning these things out... and okay at creating them...)

Liner is (sorta) in place and water is being added as we speakā€¦ or as I typeā€¦

I think once there is a few inches of water in the bottom it will be easier to get the liner on the sidewalls where I want it. Just for referenceā€¦ working with a 20X20 liner in a 20x12 room isnā€™t very easy :S

added later -
The pond is filled about half way up. So far no signs of stress at all on the structure. One thing I failed to consider thoughā€¦ Iā€™m filling it up with the hose from outside and the water is DARN COLD! I planned on getting in the pond and situating the linerā€¦ I donā€™t see that happening today though . So Iā€™m going to fill it up to the Ā¾ mark and let it sit until this evening and then get some heaters in it overnight and try again this time tomorrowā€¦

But for anyone who is like me you know better. That is the logical plan to followā€¦ but I bet Iā€™m in the pond before dark tonightā€¦ maybe if I buy a thermo wetsuitā€¦

added later than the first later -
3/4 full (about 450-500 Gal) No signs of structural stress, concrete didn't crack under it. I think this darn thing might actually work!
I have 800W of heaters in it now. The water is darn cold though, but hopefully, just hopefully... it will warm up enough for me to tolerate it in the next few hours...brrrrrrrr........

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back