Oscar fish- Sunken belly.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Karan chugh

Reaction score
Hi,
Iā€™m Karan from Bangalore, India. I have only one 4 inch Oscar in my 3*1.5*2 feet aquarium. It has a maintained temperature of 28 degrees Celsius and a filter.
From a past few days my fish has stopped accepting any type of food. When I consulted my fish expert he told me the Oscar has sunken belly and he told me to add 50gms of rock salt and change 50% of the water every third day and feed the fish only once at night. I started the process today but the fish hasnā€™t accepted the food (Iā€™ve tried a variety of them).
a few days back my fish started flashing so I realized something is wrong and did a 70% water change. Itā€™s been over a week since the fish has not eaten anything. Can somebody please help? Images attached below.
0154B9FF-CF75-4CF9-B74A-58CAF0E44528.jpeg
6557A5E8-41B5-4A08-9BEE-A7B257796213.png
0154B9FF-CF75-4CF9-B74A-58CAF0E44528.jpeg
6557A5E8-41B5-4A08-9BEE-A7B257796213.png
5CBD95E0-71AF-4E8F-A71A-2B4DBF9074CB.png

You can do a 75% water change every day and see if that helps

You can do a 75% water change every day and see if that helps
Thanks for the reply!
The fish seems to get stressed out if I do that.. I was told to add anti parasite every third day after water change. I will try to complete one cycle first maybe since Iā€™ve added salt?

This treatment has saved many fish with sunken belly that are refusing food. It is lengthy but definitely check it out.
Thankyou for the help! Hope youā€™re doing well! Due to the current situation of lockdown I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to get all the things needed but Iā€™ll try to give a bath with the solution if the current salt technique wonā€™t help? hoping for the best.

I guess my Oscar is about to die :( it hasnā€™t eaten since a week and it started to go low on energy and mostly on its sides.. I tried to treat it with Metro also but nothing seems to help

Oh no! I'm so sorry :(

Sunken belly is usually fatal left untreated. The key ingredient in that mixture is the Epsom salt and you have to administer it directly into the gut. Sadly waterborne medication will not help at this point.

So sorry :(

Sunken belly is usually fatal left untreated. The key ingredient in that mixture is the Epsom salt and you have to administer it directly into the gut. Sadly waterborne medication will not help at this point.

So sorry :(

surprisingly my Oscar is still up! The vet told there is no parasite anymore but it is still not consuming any food. None of us are sure why itā€™s not consuming. It comes close to the food but it doesnā€™t put it in its mouth.I tried wet and dry pallets both but it would not consume.
The fish looks tired sometimes. Is there a way to feed some vegetables or any other way to feed the fish so that I can get it to eat?

What are you feeding the fish?
If you feed dry pellets or flake food, try feeding it marine based meats instead. Prawn/ shrimp, fish and squid can all be used. Just cut it into small bits and offer a few bits at a time. Smaller bits are also easier for the fish to eat and it might be able to swallow them easier.

If you can get to a pet shop, you might be able to buy live brineshrimp or Daphnia and offer it some of them. They are small and move about in the water and it can encourage fish to eat.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back