Order Of Purchase

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dazbud

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've recently upgraded from a 100L to a 250L (55G), established media etc all transferred and been running approx a month now. I'm keeping some of my old fish, such as the 6 rainbow fish and 7 tiger barbs and my two new Bristlenose. I'm planning on either returning or giving away my platies and neon tetras. Or perhaps just letting nature take its course.

I'm aiming on eventually stocking some small south american cichlids. I've done hours of reading and decided on the following list, based on compatibility, care requirements, other people's experience of keeping these fish together, adult size under 6", relatively low agression and of course looks.

2 x Keyhole
2 x Firemouth
1 X Blue Acara
1 x Convict

They will all be purchased as juveniles under 2" long and I am planning on using my quarantine tank with established filter media. Ideally, I would like to purchase them all at once to minimise hieracrchy issues. However, my quarantine tank is only 30L, so I don't think I would probably risk having 6 x 2"  in a 30L for two weeks, even with 50% water change daily.

Not sure whether I should just purchase them all at once and risk introducing them straight to the main tank or whether I should purchase them 2 or 3 at a time for a period in the quarantine tank, and if so whether there is suggested order of introduction?

Secondly, according to most of the different calculators I've looked at, even with the above list (plus my rainbows, tigers and BN), my main tank would still only be at somewhere between 60-80% capacity after a year of maturity. So, depending on my experince of managing the waste as the tank matures, I was thinking of adding a small school of something else eventually. I think I'd like something redish to balance out the overall look. I realy like Denison Barbs (Rose line sharks) and was considering maybe 5 of them for a splash of red colour. However, they are very pricey in the UK and after further reading I have reservations about them (due to maybe needing more space). I've also looked at Odessa barbs, but seen that some can be a bit of a let down in terms of colour. Any suggestions on a further small school(that would be compatible with the cichlids) to complete the set up?

Do you already have fish in this tank? If not, it seems silly to quarantine them as there aren't any other existing fish to get sick if there are any problems.

I know it's naughty of me, but I've personally never quarantined new fish and I've never had problems.

yeah I have my tiger barbs and rainbow fish.

I've had a couple of episodes in the past of flicking and rubbing after new fish were added. Water parameters were always good and no visible signs of illness. After trying many different attempts to stop it I eventually tried Waterlife Sterazin (for gill flukes and internal parasites) and the problem was fixed. Now as a precaution I quantine and dose new fish for parasites. Maybe I'm being over cautious ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back