Orange fin livebearer (Priapichthys annectens)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Here's a description of the orange fin livebearer (Priapichthys annectens). This is an ovoviviparous livebearer that can be found in Costa Rica and Panama. To be more precise: From northern Costa Rica to western Panama (small area), Atlantic and Pacific drainages; Costa Rica.
The name orange fin livebearer has been given because both genders have an orange seam in their dorsals.
IMG_5783.JPG

Above: Two adult females.
Lives in currents of low to high velocity; in brooks and streams between 25-1270 m elevation; in temperatures of 17-35°C. Swims in small groups at all depths, over rock or sand substrata. Reproduces continuously all year round. Feeds on terrestrial and aquatic insects, especially ants and termites. But mines are also accustomed to flake food. Because of the wide tolerance in water temperature, these fish are good contenders to keep outdoors during the better months of the year. Despite of the fact that they can reproduce themselves all year round, the batches of newborns won't be that large. Mostly between 5-15 newborns each batch.

They're not that demanding when it comes to the hardness of the water. They'll do well in moderate soft till hard water. They prefer shallow waters and will be active in all layers (as already stated).
IMG_5906.JPG

Females tend to become larger than males. Females will reach up to 8-10 cm. And males tend to grow up to 5-7 cm. The males have a thin elongated gonopodium. Because of the shape and length of the gonopodium, these livebearers will hardly have a courtship. But most ovoviviparous livebearer species with an elongated gonopodium don't have a courtship.
IMG_5478.JPG

Above: An adult male.
Scales bordered in black which gives a cross-hatch pattern to the body, more intense along the midline of the side and sometimes resembles a series of X's along the body, The sides with 6 - 12 vertical bars, more conspicuous on the urosome and the intensity varies according to the geographical region of the population. Black elongate blotches present on the membranes of the dorsal fin base. First anal fin rays orange; other fins colorless. Eyes and cheeks reflect silvery green highlight.
This livebearer species has the terminal, upward-facing mouth typical of surface feeders. And they've got a protruding belly.
IMG_5621.JPG

This species is semi friendly. Wouldn't combine them with sensitive and too friendly fish. Best to keep them in a species tank or combined with more sturdy fish. The females tend to become aggressive towards males. Especially when they're pregnant. That why it's best to keep them in a well sized tank. So, that those males can withdraw when needed.
IMG_5903.JPG

I'm keeping and breeding this livebearer species ever since October 2020. And I've got them combined with the Polkadot splitfin (Chapalichthys pardalis).
This wild livebearer species is well suited for the more experienced aquarist than for a novice aquarist.

Photos: Stan de Jong

The first pic they look a bit like X variatus platies, not as much colour. But they have a bit more length in the caudal peduncle region.

I wish we got interesting livebearers here
The bodyshape does look a bit similar to X.variatus. But they're different in behavior.

I just lost a colony of Priapichthys nigroventralis, after many generations. They were fascinating, as they dropped one or two fry every 28 days. Even at that, they could make very large populations quickly, as they matured so quickly.

That's another great Priapichthys. I'll miss them.

I just lost a colony of Priapichthys nigroventralis, after many generations. They were fascinating, as they dropped one or two fry every 28 days. Even at that, they could make very large populations quickly, as they matured so quickly.

That's another great Priapichthys. I'll miss them.
It's hard to get your hands on this genus. Priapichthys species aren't offered that often.

They're wonderful fish. I had mine for some time, but the period before my move, as I combined species to save space during the house sale set up cost me a treasure there.

My livebearer set up is diminished - down to Poecilia cf. minima, X kallmani and X milleri. I'm in a softwater region now,so I doubt I'll be adding more of the hardwater groups.

The big problem with nigroventralis was getting decent photos. They are even smaller than my camera skills.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back