Orange Chromide Fry, Now What?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Okay, so I had to remove the Molly from the brackish tank, since it ate 2 batches of eggs. The third batch just hatched and I saw about 8 fry.

The fry are in a little hole the parents dug in the sand, flopping around a bit. What to I feed them? My ground up flake still looks a little too big. Should I be concerned that they are not swimming yet?
I am at my dad's house getting my car fixed right now, so no pics.

Not sure if Emeraldking knows about orange chromides, he is our livebearer guy tho :)

The baby fish are sitting in the pit while they use up their yolk sac. In a day or two they should start to swim around and that is when you start feeding them. The parents might move them to a new pit each day. This is normal.

You should be able to feed the babies on newly hatched brineshrimp, or a liquid fry food for egg layers. If you can't get these, then use a boiled egg yolk mixed with some dechlorinated water, then use an eye dropper to squirt some of the egg yolk solution towards the babies.

The following link has information about newly hatched brineshrimp and boiled egg yolk (under Emergency Fry Food)

Thank you! I will see if I can get ahold of both the fry food and baby brine shrimp.

Might still have some shrimp cysts in the fridge, too.

You buy dry brineshrimp eggs and hatch them at home to get baby brineshrimp. Don't go into a store asking for baby brineshrimp because they won't have live baby brineshimp :)

You buy dry brineshrimp eggs and hatch them at home to get baby brineshrimp. Don't go into a store asking for baby brineshrimp because they won't have live baby brineshimp :)
I used to have a set up for hatching, but it was such a hassle. I will have to get everything out of the closet. I would hatch them and feed live for the first day post hatching, then out the rest into ice cube trays and set it up again with another batch.

Not sure if Emeraldking knows about orange chromides, he is our livebearer guy tho :)

The baby fish are sitting in the pit while they use up their yolk sac. In a day or two they should start to swim around and that is when you start feeding them. The parents might move them to a new pit each day. This is normal.

You should be able to feed the babies on newly hatched brineshrimp, or a liquid fry food for egg layers. If you can't get these, then use a boiled egg yolk mixed with some dechlorinated water, then use an eye dropper to squirt some of the egg yolk solution towards the babies.

The following link has information about newly hatched brineshrimp and boiled egg yolk (under Emergency Fry Food)
I just have to agree with you.
But despite of the fact that I am a huge livebearer enthusiast, I've kept cichlids as well (and I still have a number of cichlids overhere). I've kept several kinds of fish throughout the years (also marine fish). But yes, livebearers have always been my main focus... ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back