Oranda with lump on tail fin

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Judith1

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am new to this forum so I hope that I have posted my question in the correct area!
I have an oranda that recently developed a round lump on his tail fin. It looks like a bubble that appears to be clear.
He has just finished a seven day course of Melafix that seemed to shrink the lump quite considerably but it has now returned with a vengeance! The course was completed about a week ago.
He seems to be in great health otherwise and is feeding and interacting with the other's.
I did have a problem with two fish that were very much bullies but they have since been rehomed
A guy at our local fish shop said that it may be viral and to try another course of Melafix and dabbing a diluted solution directly onto the area.
Also he said that if that did not work the lump could be lanced?!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Hey and :hi:
Please post clear pictures and answer details :
pH
GH
KH
NH3
NO2
NO3
Temp.
How much, how many times, and what do you feed.
Any tankmates ?

Hi and thank you for your reply!
Unfortunately I am currently unable to provide a clear photo as my husband removed the lump himself after being advised that it would be safe to do so after speaking to a guy who runs a fish shop. However, a course of Melafix has now been resumed again and a small amount of Melafix was applied to the area.
I had the water tested a few weeks ago in case that may be the cause but the water is well within the safe range to keep them.
With regards to feeding, they are fed twice daily and in the mornings they are fed pellets that sink straight to the bottom of the tank and a night they are given special wafers. These foods are specifically for the breed.
There is now four fish in the tank. There are three females and one male who has this problem.
I did have six fish in total but two had to be removed as they became quite aggressive towards the others up to the point that a separation within the tank had to be introduced that was in place for about a month. It was taken out on Saturday after I was able to have them removed to the guy from the fish shop. who was willing to take them.
I am wondering if this could be the cause of the issue as the fish that were removed were also male?
They had no qualms about bullying the females and the male that is left.
I hope this is helpful and I hope that you can shed some light as to how this issue may have arisen.

I had the water tested a few weeks ago
This is not enough. You'll have to check once a week.
How large is the tank ? 6 goldies need much space !

Also he said that if that did not work the lump could be lanced?!
By yourself ? Are you or your husband a fish veterinarian (surgeon) ?
With regards to feeding
Goldies are omnivorous and prefer sinking food and I encourage you to provide them with fresh vegetables: 1 min. boiled lettuce, boiled carrot cubes, peeled peas (mine performed double backflip for peas :lol: ), boiled zucchini cubes, boiled pumpkin cubes. Also boiled : grapes, watermelon, canned corn, apple, pear, mangoes.

They had no qualms about bullying the females and the male that is left.
Dominant males can stress females up to death. That is why they want HUGE space.

Please keep in mind that eeg-shaped goldies are (very sensible to constipation : in this case, coat food with castor oil as long as faeces are back to normal.

Think to deworm your fishes with pieces of garlic (yes I swear) twice a week.

They also like live food : daphnia, artemia, mosquito larva...

Very important :
pH
GH
KH
NH3
NO2
NO3
Temp.
Pics of the tank.

This is not enough. You'll have to check once a week.
How large is the tank ? 6 goldies need much space !

By yourself ? Are you or your husband a fish veterinarian (surgeon) ?

Goldies are omnivorous and prefer sinking food and I encourage you to provide them with fresh vegetables: 1 min. boiled lettuce, boiled carrot cubes, peeled peas (mine performed double backflip for peas :lol: ), boiled zucchini cubes, boiled pumpkin cubes. Also boiled : grapes, watermelon, canned corn, apple, pear, mangoes.

Dominant males can stress females up to death. That is why they want HUGE space.
Hi. Thanks for your prompt reply!

We will make a conscious effort to test the water on a weekly basis and record the results to keep an eye on things.
The tank is 180 litres and there is now four fish.
With regards to your query about the lump removal my husband has no veterinary experience in surgery at all and I was not happy when I came home from work to find that he had done this.There appears to be no open wound but I am afraid that an infection may set in though.
He said that a clear liquid oozed out when it was cut.
Yes, our fish love peas and also small pieces of orange. They go absolutely crazy!!!!
I would like to thank you so much for being kind enough to dedicate some of your time to help offer invaluable advice. I am glad that I stumbled across this forum.

The tank is 180 litres and there is now four fish.
Ooch, way too smal !! In a perfect world it would be 400 litre.... or much better, a pond !
Please make a HUGE 50% even 75% waterchange at the same temp. as tank's.
About the wounded Oranda and since your hysband is skilled, take it out of aquarium and treat it using a cottonbud and Iodine Antiseptic solution or hydrogen peroxyde, both 50% diluted with pgysiological saline, twice a day until full recovery.
Give it some peas as sweet for its - I hope - quiet behavior while treated.
I don't know in Scotland but in France Iodine Antiseptic and hydrogen peroxyde are also available in very convenient gel form.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back