Oranda Goldfish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

HTownGoldfish

Reaction score
I have 1 female oranda breeded with 2 males oranda. Some of the babies (about 1 month) have straight tail like comet goldfish tail ? why is that? Can someone explain why. Thanks

Fancy goldfish are selectivly bred from common goldfish which are all single tailed so whenever you breed any varitey of fancy goldfish some of the fry will revert back to traits they shouldn't have ie. single tails in double tailed varieties, dorsal fins in dorsaless varieties, fish not developing wens (head growth) etc. For this reason comercial breeders and people trying to develop show quality goldfish will cull the fry when they are young and only keep the good ones. I'm not an expert on genetics so hopefully somone can give a more thorough answer but I hope this helps.

Sometimes it’s just a fluke, other times it’s genetics. I had goldfish fry many times in the past and only once, did I get a single tailed fancy. He did fine.

Sometimes it’s just a fluke, other times it’s genetics. I had goldfish fry many times in the past and only once, did I get a single tailed fancy. He did fine.
Wow thats suprising, I have never actually bred goldfish but I have read a lot about it and I thought it was supposed to happen almost every time, it seems not. I supposed it would depend on exactly what variety and how good the parents and grandparents genetics were.

I was kind off disappointed about the fries. I would said at least 80% of the fries have straight tail. From my observation, the straight tail fries are swimming faster, eating more, and growing faster compared to the tiny fries that have rose tail. As the straight tail got bigger in size, they started beat of the tail of the rose tail one. so at this moment (1 month), my tank have 99% of fries have straight tail of which I plan not to keep them.

I was kind off disappointed about the fries. I would said at least 80% of the fries have straight tail. From my observation, the straight tail fries are swimming faster, eating more, and growing faster compared to the tiny fries that have rose tail. As the straight tail got bigger in size, they started beat of the tail of the rose tail one. so at this moment (1 month), my tank have 99% of fries have straight tail of which I plan not to keep them.
That has to be genetics then. One of your parents has a comet or common somewhere in their line. They are all the same species so will breed together.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back