Opinions on tik tok fish abuse?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I do not use crap tok mostly because I don't want my personal data sold to the communists in China but my much younger sister uses it and when asked about the fact that the app collects that much information about her she said she does not mind which scares me.

There is one issue on the app that disgusts me though and it's the amount of relentless animal cruelty.

What horrifies me especially is the fact that so many small animals and especially fish are regularly abused and filmed and nobody even bats an eye to it except if it's a dog or cat as if cats and dogs are superior just because they are "real pets" and they feel other animals are "not real pets" and in their twisted mind that somehow justifies animal abuse just because it's not a dog or a cat..

I cannot understand why somebody in their right mind would think "I am going to kill or torture one of my pets to get some tik tok fame" these are obviously mentally ill people that have no place on social media or the internet in general .

What are your opinions on this issue and what do you suggest needs to be done?

Last edited:
Firstly, I would say that just because a particular western government alleges that TikTok are mishandling user data, does not mean that is actually the case. You only have to look at the history of non-Chinese companies like Yahoo and Facebook to get your definition of data mishandling and this has actually been corroborated for them.

Secondly, abuse of fish or any other animal is a disgrace, especially a fish which is 100% dependent on the owner bringing food to them unlike a dog or cat. I have not seen any instances of abuse on TikTok as I have never used it but if it is occurring I hope there is a report feature that allows for it to be flagged to TikTok and, if necessary, the police. Unfortunately, it is a up hill battle in reporting abuse of fish; even the RSPCA in the UK do not take it seriously.

I’ve personally had a TikTok of 5 girls “sharing” a goldfish and a TikTok of a girl throwing the cup her betta was in onto the floor. The goldfish one they had it in one of them small castle tanks and they moved it around to a different ones house each week and there were. So. So many people in the comments tagging their friends saying they should do it ???. I replied to as many comments as politely as I could explaining why it’s a bad idea and a lot of them got very mad at me telling me to mind my own business and so what it’s only 50 cents. Sometimes, I just hate people?

I do not use crap tok mostly because I don't want my personal data sold to the communists in China but my much younger sister uses it and when asked about the fact that the app collects that much information about her she said she does not mind which scares me.
Perhaps inform your parents about the data collection and inappropriate content. Then it's up to the adults to say if it's ok or not.

One way of limiting the information the companies get is by putting in false information. Use an alias for your name, birth date and address.

I didn't know this was "a thing" until I started watching Fish For Thought on Youtube. It's disturbing, but for a lot of people it's "just a fish" and there's nothing you can do to convince them that it's a living thing in their care and maybe they should make SOME attempt to take care of it. I'm old so I don't "get it" but Tiktok seems to be aimed at pre-teens trying to become internet famous.

Perhaps inform your parents about the data collection and inappropriate content. Then it's up to the adults to say if it's ok or not.

One way of limiting the information the companies get is by putting in false information. Use an alias for your name, birth date and address.
It’s a lot more inappropriate than most people think.

I personally think TikTok is stupid, and that they truly are stealing your data.

——

There’s literally nothing you can do if the person is online. It’s just like someone here on TFF. They may have an extremely overstocked tank, and we can give advice all day long, but there’s nothing we can actually do about it.

People don’t think fish are “real pets” because they aren’t fuzzy and warm, and they can’t sleep with you at night.

My neighbor has lots of pets that are extremely miss cared for, including some fish. I believe her last victim was a River chub, that she kept in a 3.5g tank, with only gravel. That thing was over 5 inches long when she caught it - with a fishing rod.

Obviosuly I politely tried to tell her that she was not only doing something illegal, but also in humane. She said OK, but did nothing about it.

Her dad claims to be a “fish expert” which made me laugh when she told me that.

Anyway, sorry for spouting. Bottom line is: If they are online, there is nothing you can do about it.

The only Tic Tac I'm interested in is the breath freshener mints...
AH-A-MEN brotha!
36E99542-ED59-4167-9B45-9138BA23944E.jpeg
(Have you seen the new min Coca-cola ones? They look really good)

In some ways we all want to be recognized for something, usually something good like patience, kindness, doing a good job, etc.
-
Why anyone would want to be recognized for being cruel and inhuman completely escapes me. But then people that do this just don't think the way normal people do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back