Opinions On This Tank Please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bronzecat

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
Hi

I am intending to set up a marine tank and have been out window shopping :)

I saw this tank [URL="http://www.aquariumsdelivered.co.uk/catalo...set-p-2968.html"]http://www.aquariumsdelivered.co.uk/catalo...set-p-2968.html[/URL]

I really really like it :D

My only concern is the height and that the light hood only has 2 tubes.

I am intending to keep both fish and softies/anemones, and will be using the Berlin filter method with the external filter acting as a purely mechanical filter.

What do you guys think?

Gorgeous tank, love them.
For you firt marine tank...forget anenomes for at least 1 year. Difficult to care for and deffinatly not a good plan under two tubes. Softie may be ok. Whenever i have looked at one of these tanks, as i really fancy one, i think it would be possible to hang a halide off the light bar thing.

Too close to the water surface for a halide unfortunately ben, but retofitting a 4 tube HO T5 or LED hanging pendant would deffinately be possible :good: With halides that close to the water surface, you would have issues with heat, particularly in summer :sad:

nems seem cool until you read more about them. If they become unhappy in your setup they will wander around the tank stinging in it's path. It'll wander until it finds a spot it likes. Could be a bad deal if theres a fair amount of corals in the tank :crazy:

They WORK bronzecat. Unfortunately as often happens in this hobby, tanks come with underpowered lighting, and overpowered filtration. In the marine reef world, we use lots of light, lots of flow, and LR (basically). In the freshwater planted world, you use decent lighting, not much flow, and big filters. Different hardware to achieve different goals.

If you've got the patience, I always say to scour the classifieds in your area and see what you can find in the form of used tanks/equipment. A lot of it lasts a long time (at least the expensive stuff like tanks/lighting) and you can pickup great full setups for a song sometimes when people move, fall out of luck, or just get bored with the tank and want it gone.

Hope that helped a bit :)

Hi and thanks for all the imput :good:

I am now the pround owner of 38 gallon Aquamarine 900 :D No issue with the lighting - 4 x T5's. I was originally put off buying this set-up as it comes with the Marisys filter/skimmer. I thought it looked a bit "plasticy". However, following a vist to Tri-mar my view was changed. I could have gone with a different external etc.... but noticed that they actually use these filters on some of their marines. So i thought, they got to be ok otherwise they risk their stock. The only down side, is the skimmer is air driven so not as powerful as others.

A few more gallons than i had originally thought of, but more gallons = more things i can do with it, and easier to maintain :good:

Picking up my RO filter tomorrow so can get the water ready. Gonna go with lots of LR and when ready would like some nice Zoas, a pair of pink skunk clowns and a purple firefish. Thats all i have planned for it really.

Just one thing.....They mentioned a product called "Stability" by seachem i think. I didnt get any cus i thought it was just a bit of a gimmick like "Cycle" etc.... Did a search on the forum and notice that people have used it. Does it really help kick start the system?

Thanks

The stability won't really do much that LR won't do by itself. IMO not worth it... Good to hear about the tank, and some nice lighting too.

Just remember to run the first 2 hours RO water to waste, to clear the "goo" they put in the membrane to prevent it drying up in transit :good:

The stability won't really do much that LR won't do by itself. IMO not worth it... Good to hear about the tank, and some nice lighting too.

Cheers Skifletch :good:

Just remember to run the first 2 hours RO water to waste, to clear the "goo" they put in the membrane to prevent it drying up in transit :good:

Hi rabbut
Got the RO unit all set up..........once i worked out which pipe went where lol. Flushed the filters through, then started to flush the membrane.........Water pressure way too low :sad: And thats before i even route it through the de-ionization chamber. Gonna have to see if i can get the water inlet as close to the stop cock as possible. Not easy because the stop cock is behind a false wall :no: I can see the jigsaw coming out :hey:

Just a quick question - once RO water is made, how long can it be kept in air tight containers?

Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Back