Opinions on the following fish…

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys, can anyone give an opinion on what the following fish may do with regards to the plants in the image below (not my pic).

For example would they uproot them, accidentally damage them, eat them, or successfully thrive there.

-Green Terror
-Severums
-Oscars
-Jewel Cichlid
-Flagtail
-Silver Dollar
-Tinfoil Barb
-Bala Shark
-Rainbow shark/Red Tail shark
-Snakehead
-Arowana
-Geophagus

Attachments

• 0B8B2120-4E8F-4DB1-B1D6-66054FEA27F1.jpeg
    0B8B2120-4E8F-4DB1-B1D6-66054FEA27F1.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 38
What size tank do you have? Whatis the GH?

This is a theoretical question, the tank does not exist. When it does, it will be at least 500 litres. I am more concerned with what the above fish will do to the above plants.

Hi guys, can anyone give an opinion on what the following fish may do with regards to the plants in the image below (not my pic).

For example would they uproot them, accidentally damage them, eat them, or successfully thrive there.

-Green Terror - dig them up and kill the severums
-Severums - eat the plants
-Oscars - dig them up
-Jewel Cichlid - kill anything smaller than it and dig up some plants
-Flagtail - eat the plants
-Silver Dollar - eat the plants (need to be in groups of 10 or more)
-Tinfoil Barb - eat the plants (tinfoils need to be in groups of 10 or more)
-Bala Shark - nothing but need to be in groups of 10 or more
-Rainbow shark/Red Tail shark - nothing
-Snakehead - eat everything smaller than it
-Arowana - jump out and dry up on the floor
-Geophagus - dig up everything

your welcome :)

Last edited:
An arrowana would get way too big for a 500 litre tank. They need at least a 350gallon tank.

Edit: additionally the arrow would eat anything under 4 inches if it’s 8’ at the least.

Cool, looks like my search for a “monster fish” goes on… if it even exists :)

Thanks for the info guys!

Just to clear up, I don’t need info regarding fish on fish behaviour/tank size/tank mates/GH/PH etc. This thread was purely based on fishes behaviour towards a heavily planted Val tank.

It is theoretical and and further research would be done on the specific fish if it were to come a reality. I may end up with a 1000 litre tank, a 2000 litre tank, I may live in a different country by the time things come around.

-Green Terror
-Severums
-Oscars
-Jewel Cichlid
-Flagtail
-Silver Dollar
-Tinfoil Barb
-Bala Shark
-Rainbow shark/Red Tail shark
-Snakehead
-Arowana
-Geophagus

I currently have experience with a Flagtail, Arowana, and had a Geophagus surinamensis. Highly recommend the Flagtail prochilodus, they are one of the best algae eaters imho. He cleans off my African fern, anubias, Val’s, and Java ferns without damaging them. I have a 30 inch silver Arowana and he will leave your plants alone just because he swims at the surface. Depends on what species of Geophagus. I had a Geophagus surinamensis “earth eater” and it was a digger, would constantly suck up gravel and spit it out making several holes. Good luck!

You can't have arrowanas or snakeheads in a tank with no lid, they would jump out

The standards in the monster fish lists tend to be difficult. Bala sharks should not be in tanks, as they like to go in speed bursts for many km in the current. No tank is big enough.

Some Crenicichla would not bug plants.

Arowanas are my favorite fish, too bad they outgrow just about any tank, if they don't jump out of it before that.

Arowanas are my favorite fish, too bad they outgrow just about any tank, if they don't jump out of it before that.
I've told this story before here but the coolest fish I've ever seen in any pet shop was a three foot Arowana that Ben Birdsill had at The Tropical Shop here in Billings Montana. It was a huge tank and he had a special top he built that bolted on to keep that Arowana from pushing the top off when it jumped. Just looking at the girth and size of that fish you could feel the power.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back