FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishmanic

TFF Contest Czar
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Recently purchased this "chinese fisherman" ornament from Ebay and put it in my 35 gallon tall hex tank. It is made of clay and then glazed in a kiln. My fish seem to like it. So what do you guys think?
IMG_0391-vi.jpg

IMG_0392-vi.jpg

IMG_0395-vi.jpg

IMG_0396-vi.jpg

Last edited:
One small issue I am having is my BN pleco likes to gnaw on the "Fishing Pole". Do you think if I put a bit of tabasco sauce on the pole, that will help keep the pleco off of it? I have other sticks of wood on the substrate that he will gnaw.

Do you think if I put a bit of tabasco sauce on the pole,
Even if the Tabasco sauce didnt wash off the pole straight away you have no idea if it will harm or even kill the pleco or any other fish. All it will do is contaminate the water.

Personal Opinion.

Ornaments are human eye candy, Fish do not need or want ornaments. Want to make your fish happy? Give them a natural looking environment using plants, wood and rocks.

I gave the fish an environment that includes plants, wood, rocks and a natural looking fisherman. I too am not a fan of most ornaments but this one was too cool :kana: to not put it in my tank. My fish seem to like it too as they hang around it a lot. Just hope the fisherman doesn’t hook any of my fish :no:

I also recently bot this 2nd fishermen figurine in a different pose from the one in my first post. Not sure if I’ll put it in my 29 gallon rectangular tank. Opinions welcome.

2v2EaRQdgx9jnnR.jpg

It is way too cool looking. I love it! You get the prize on that one!

Hi love your fisherman goes well with your set up
What is the large plant to the left it's beautiful the way it drapes over the rock and floor ☺

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the nice comment. The large plants are anubias.., around 5 years old. I have some on rocks, some on a low piece of malasian driftwood, and the higher plants are on a taller manzinita pc of driftwood. So I have anubias on 3 different height levels.

Last edited:
What a great idea I'm really impressed with the look, and i never would have thought of leveling anubias like that stunning

My tank won Tank of the Month in January 2019. Here's my youtube video which was entered in the contest.

Theme
"Fisherman's Paradise".......Japanese Zen Garden Themed 35 gallon tall hex tank

Inhabitants:
9 Serpae Tetra, 3 Black Skirt Tetra, 1 full grown Angelfish, 1 Bushynose Pleco

Equipment:
200 watt Aqueon shatterproof heater with two indicator leds ..heat on/ heat off
Aquaclear 50 filter loaded with 2 sponges, filter floss, and ceramics
Air pump operated sponge filter ... sized for 40 gallon tank
Danner two outlet air pump hooked to sponge filter and one airstone

Substrate:
two toned blue gravel, various sized rocks,

Additions:
custom made flagstone/rock platform/cave, handmade wooden Japanese bridge made from bamboo chopsticks and toothpicks, glazed clay "fisherman" ornament, manzanita driftwood to support upper level of anubias and a large malasian driftwood supporting lower level of anubias

Plantings: annubias nana, water wisteria, and watersprite (floating)

Fertilizers: Seachem Flourish complete once a week, Seachem Trace weekly, seachem root tabs

Water changes: 50% about every 7-9 days, also do moderate gravel clean using the python water changer device

Parameters:
0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates, hardness 175, temperature 77.3 (digital thermometer)

Filter service:
change filter floss and squeeze out sponges (in tank water) every two weeks
clean filter box and tubes monthly

Lighting:
15 watt t8 Zoo Med 6500K fluorescent tube and low powered led fixture...lights on 12 hours/day

Feeding:
Cobalt brand flake twice a day..freeze dried bloodworms about twice a week (presoaked), freeze dried daphnia occasionally, frozen shrimp as a treat, hikari algae wafer once or twice a week.

Last edited:
I encourage all members to enter the Tank of the Month contest. We are seeking entrants for August TOTM contest. Click on banner at top of forums to view the contest. Enter your tank today!

Last edited:
It is kind of cool that your Asian Fisherman has stuck with you all this time! “Long live Asian Fisherman!!” :p

I know right, but the thing is it absolutely goes with everything in there, the plants the rock it's sat on even the shape of the tank, like it was made for it lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back