Opinions on aquarium salt with smaragdina?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AlStu

Reaction score
Salt should not be used on a routine basis with freshwater fish. The only time salt should be used is very short term for a problem such as whitespot.

Salt should not be used on a routine basis with freshwater fish. The only time salt should be used is very short term for a problem such as whitespot.
Thank you!

Bettas come from soft water with little or no mineral content and have not evolved to deal with salt. So they should not be exposed to salt unless it's necessary.

I use A.S. weekly. But I hide it in flipped cups with holes in them.
It's not good if you have bottom feeding and bottom dwelling fish. It'll shock them and they will be choked out. I have a 20gal tall for my Betta sorority.
The betta species typically dislike hard water. But. My water is ALWAYS hard. My bettas are always fine. They've been kept like that since ive had them. Gh 180 Kh 80 Ph 7. It's always there. I use betta fix, metafix and pimafix here and there. The oils get into their gills which are bad. But. The salt removes the oils.
Before I knew that...pimafix killed a betta or mine. I even had the filter on and the oil choked my betta out.
I use less tham the recommended doses of salt and the medicine containing oils. If you intend on using the salt and the medicine containing oils please read on them deeply and be careful. Run your filter with them.
I have the run out of my filters stuffed with different materials. Look into DIY filter cartridges.
12"x 60"x 1.25" Aqua-Flo Coarse Black Universal Pond Filter Mat

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use A.S. weekly. But I hide it in flipped cups with holes in them.
It's not good if you have bottom feeding and bottom dwelling fish. It'll shock them and they will be choked out. I have a 20gal tall for my Betta sorority.
The betta species typically dislike hard water. But. My water is ALWAYS hard. My bettas are always fine. They've been kept like that since ive had them. Gh 180 Kh 80 Ph 7. It's always there. I use betta fix, metafix and pimafix here and there. The oils get into their gills which are bad. But. The salt removes the oils.
Before I knew that...pimafix killed a betta or mine. I even had the filter on and the oil choked my betta out.
I use less tham the recommended doses of salt and the medicine containing oils. If you intend on using the salt and the medicine containing oils please read on them deeply and be careful. Run your filter with them.

Substances (salt, medications, treatments) should never be added to a freshwater aquarium unless there is a very specific issue that must be dealt with for the good of the fish. All of these stress fish whihc weakens the immune system and sometimes much worse, and they provide no "preventative" benefit at all.

There is absolutely no benefit to adding salt on a regular basis. First, the level being added is insufficient to do any good, and second, the minimal amount added will harm freshwater fish, particularly those evolved to function in soft water. There is simply no therapeutic benefit to salt in a freshwater aquarium except when used as the best treatment for a particular disease, and then only if the fish species can handle it.

Freshwater fish need clean freshwater. Nothing else. You can read my article here which explains why salt is detrimental.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/SaltArtHosking.htm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back