Opinions of my systems...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lljdma06

Retired moderator :)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This is a loaded post and I understand if I don't get responses right away. I have no emergencies and my plants are doing extremely well. But, I'd thought I'd ask a few questions. First, when I browse PetSmart.com, I keep looking at this CO2 thingamagig for $29.99. It's the Hagen Plant Grow Natural System with CO2. I've never used CO2 before, and I'm wondering if it's absolutely necessary for what I'm growing. I know it is highly recommended here, but I could still use some advice, as my budget doesn't stretch as far as I'd like it too. :) I've read the pinned topics on CO2 and I'm intrigued and understand its principles. I've also read the substrate threads and when I move home, I will definitely use either florite or laterite (sp) for future planted setups, as I would like to grow more demanding species in future setups.

Second, I have provided detailed tank specs for both my systems, and pictures of each system so you can see how things have progressed in the short time I've had these planted setups.

10g: 3WPG, regular gravel substrate (small gravel), 12 hours of light with a 2 hour siesta in the middle. Growing ambulia, cryptocryne wendtii, micro sword, wisteria, and a ludwiga. I fertilize once a week with Leaf Zone. Probably not best, but it's what I can afford. Just pruned the 10th. Living in this tank are 3 CT bettas divided, of course. The temperature is about 83 degrees. I know a little warm but it's very hot in IL during the Summer. That might actually help my CO2 levels, though. Ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, pH 7.4, gH 8, kH 4. Running for 3 weeks

Here are two pics, one of the initial set-up:

10_gallon_betta_setup.jpg

And one of the setup as it looks now, I have added new plants and removed some, and did a pruning session. That was fun!

10g_update_new_plant_growth.jpg

15g: 2.86WPG, regular gravel substrate, same light duration as the 10g, with the same siesta. Growing ambulia, wisteria, anacharis, cryptocryne wendtii, and two anubias. Same deal with the fertilizer. Also just pruned, as you will see from the pictures. Living in this tank are one HM betta, a school of 9 harlequin rasboras, 3 bridget rasboras, and two corydoras habrosus. Temperature is the same, 83 degrees. Ammo 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, ph 7.4, gH 9, kH 7. Running for 2 years without plants, 2 months with some plants, 3 weeks heavily planted.

I also have pics, the first is what the tank looked like when I first planted it. About 3 weeks ago.

Undivided_15g.jpg

Here it is after 3 weeks of growth and before I pruned it on Saturday.

Picture3.jpg

And finally, here it is after I pruned it on Saturday, you can now see the anacharis.

Picture1.jpg

Each tank gets a 25% water change every week.

I really want somebody's imput on my systems. I really don't want to mess with a good thing and things are working very well right now, but the setups are not very old, especially regarding the plants. Algae isn't a big problem. It is the brown variety. I remove it when I do my weekly tank duties. It is not particularly offensive or troublesome. I'd get ottos, but I would rather build my habrosus school. Actually a menacing bloom of green algae prompted me to plant the 15g, so I upgraded the lights and watched the algae die. Felt great.

Anyway, do you think CO2 is right for me and can I dose both tanks with the same unit, kind of do a switcheroo during the day? What do you think of the product I mentioned above? I am very encouraged by the plants' growth so far, but don't want this initial burst of good fortune to be later beset by problems. I have a small budget, but not much, and I am slightly scared by DIY, so I don't mind investing a little to have a company do it for me. :p

Thank you for reading this long post. I'm sorry for the length, but it is better to be detailed and long than for people answering me to have to keep asking me questions.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back