Opinion on what fish to add

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

That will scrub off. Do a 70% water change, rub it off (if you do the glass while the water is out less will go back in the tank. Rinse off the filter media and replace it and the water. Then set your lights to come on for 2 hours less every day.

Floating plants as mentioned will help massively.

That will scrub off. Do a 70% water change, rub it off (if you do the glass while the water is out less will go back in the tank. Rinse off the filter media and replace it and the water. Then set your lights to come on for 2 hours less every day.

Floating plants as mentioned will help massively.

Attachments

• C2E0B169-4C77-4CE4-9788-F274492EEBD1.jpeg
    C2E0B169-4C77-4CE4-9788-F274492EEBD1.jpeg
    359.3 KB · Views: 62
I gave it a good scrubbing!!! And I’m keeping the curtains closed all day lol

Hey all!! Thanks for your help earlier!! In deciding to add more corydoras to my tank I realized that I did not have sterbai corys, I am trying to figure out if they are true Jullii, three stripe corys, or elapsed. I am thinking they are the three stripe trilneteus ... let me know what your opinions are because I want to buy the correct ones to add to my cute guys! They wouldn’t stay still enough to try and get a good pic! Haha

Attachments

• B7A1390F-98B3-43EE-AA6E-A59A9C3F4E6C.png
    B7A1390F-98B3-43EE-AA6E-A59A9C3F4E6C.png
    439 KB · Views: 67
  • A0558090-89E3-4668-B6E1-3B7EE68A709C.png
    A0558090-89E3-4668-B6E1-3B7EE68A709C.png
    372.1 KB · Views: 79
In the second pic they look my false julii. But even my schoal, bought at the same time and from the same tank, don't all look alike - some lighter than others, some more dots than lines, a couple with black iris instead of yellow, and a couple with short broken central line. I'm guessing that they are mixed hybrids, or some are! Bottom line is that the cories don't care!

Those fish in the photos are Corydoras trilineatus. For some reason stores often (if nbot almost always) label them as "julii" but they are not. "False julii" is a common name that really should not be used [over on his site CorydorasWorld, Ian Fuller will not tolerate the name :no:] because the species is distinct and named/described.

This is one of four very similarly-patterned cories that are frequently confused and will often be seen in stores under incorrect names. Corydoras julii, C. leopardus, C. punctatus and C. trilineatus all share a large black blotch in the dorsal fin, a barred caudal fin, and a horizontal stripe along the body at the juncture of the dorsal and ventral lateral plates; the body is spotted. However, all these species are highly variable in their patterning on individual fish.

The species C. trilineatus usually has a reticulated head pattern and the body markings are more variable than C. julii which always has a spotted head and body and is somewhat smaller and more compact-looking in size.

I would strongly recommend you change the substrate to sand though; this does seem to have an impact on all cories long-term.

Those fish in the photos are Corydoras trilineatus. For some reason stores often (if nbot almost always) label them as "julii" but they are not. "False julii" is a common name that really should not be used [over on his site CorydorasWorld, Ian Fuller will not tolerate the name :no:] because the species is distinct and named/described.

This is one of four very similarly-patterned cories that are frequently confused and will often be seen in stores under incorrect names. Corydoras julii, C. leopardus, C. punctatus and C. trilineatus all share a large black blotch in the dorsal fin, a barred caudal fin, and a horizontal stripe along the body at the juncture of the dorsal and ventral lateral plates; the body is spotted. However, all these species are highly variable in their patterning on individual fish.

The species C. trilineatus usually has a reticulated head pattern and the body markings are more variable than C. julii which always has a spotted head and body and is somewhat smaller and more compact-looking in size.

I would strongly recommend you change the substrate to sand though; this does seem to have an impact on all cories long-term.
Hi thanks for the feedback! I’ve always wanted to change to sand substrate but I’m nervous. What’s the best way to do that? Also how do you suction their food and poop out of you have a sand substrate?

Hi thanks for the feedback! I’ve always wanted to change to sand substrate but I’m nervous. What’s the best way to do that? Also how do you suction their food and poop out of you have a sand substrate?

I tend to leave the sand alone. But, sometimes I do a minor vacuum. If you hold the water changer above the sand and sort of move it a bit, it will usually suck up detritus but the sand is heavier. Or as I say, just leave it alone. With the fish species you have, and provided you do not over feed, there should be no issues.

As for changing the substrate, I've done this many times. The fish should go into a temporary tank (it can be smaller), along with the heater and filtyer. Siphone out the water from the existing tank to almost fill the temporary, and move over any plants and decor. Then net the fish out and into t5he temp tank. When you have the sand in the 29g tank, arrange the decor, have just a couple inches of water, plant the plants if any, then siphon out the water down tyo the sand. Fill the tank with fresh conditioned water. Use a large bowl set on the sand and run the water into that and it will overflow more gently.

I tend to leave the sand alone. But, sometimes I do a minor vacuum. If you hold the water changer above the sand and sort of move it a bit, it will usually suck up detritus but the sand is heavier. Or as I say, just leave it alone. With the fish species you have, and provided you do not over feed, there should be no issues.

As for changing the substrate, I've done this many times. The fish should go into a temporary tank (it can be smaller), along with the heater and filtyer. Siphone out the water from the existing tank to almost fill the temporary, and move over any plants and decor. Then net the fish out and into t5he temp tank. When you have the sand in the 29g tank, arrange the decor, have just a couple inches of water, plant the plants if any, then siphon out the water down tyo the sand. Fill the tank with fresh conditioned water. Use a large bowl set on the sand and run the water into that and it will overflow more gently.
Okay awesome!!
Thanks for the advice! This is my next job! I can’t wait for a all light tan sand look on the bottom and more floating plants. I’ll wait awhile since I probably stressed all my fish out trying to get that danio out! Haha

Oh wait . You will fill the tank back up with fresh conditioned water? Not full back up with your old tank water in the temp tank?

Oh wait . You will fill the tank back up with fresh conditioned water? Not full back up with your old tank water in the temp tank?

No, never. I completely fill the temp tank with water siphoned from close to the surface of the existing tank--this upper water is likely to be better quality. And the fish are going into identical water so no additional issues. But when it comes to the main tank, fresh water is better. Provided the parameters (GH, pH and temperature) are basically the same between the old tank water and the fresh water. A couple times I have gone through a mid-way bucket of mixed water, but that was with some very sensitive wild caught fish, and I am not even sure it actually made much difference. When I moved this past May, I used all fresh tap water, with API Tap Water Conditioner, in the tanks of fish I moved, and I netted the fish out of the transport containers into the "new" tanks and lost none. I just made sure the parameters were the same, which meant the temperature because my GH is zero in tap water and tank water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back