Open Mouth

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

krazytoo

Reaction score
Guess I'll try over here. My angle can not close his mouth! His bottom lip actually looks torn perhaps in fighting with the other angle. I feel terrible since he can't eat and I'm afraid he will die a slow death. Are there any help suggestions???? Thanks.

Sorry there isn't really anything you can do, can you issolate him, is it through fighting, as fish can ge an illness where they can't shut there mouth and there is nothing to be done and they die.

No the writer of this information.

Open Mouth (cannot close mouth)- This is usually when fish have a rock or something foreign stuck in their mouths. If you are very gentle you can push it forward and out of their mouth through an accessway under the gill cover. The fish of course would do better if under some anesthesia. Oil of cloves can be recommended too. The other reasons for open mouth could be a sore or ulcer located on the roof of the mouth. This is usually treated by swabbing the area with hydrogen peroxide (be careful not to get any in the gills) and an injection of Baytril. More information on injections available at http://www.koivet.com.

My angel male got a good beating from the female and broke his jaw. It left it open but over time it managed to heal and he could use it a bit better, but if after a week he still cant use it or he shakes his head when trying to eat then its best to call it a day.

Most reactions

Back