Opaline Gourami With White Fungus On Back, Now All Fish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just turned on my tank lights today and first thing I noticed is one of my Opaline Gourami has a white fungus on his back about two inches from his head, less than half a penny size. Definatley a fungus, not ich.

None of the other fish seem to have anything, so far!

Water stats are:
Ph: 7.8 (always has been)
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20

Tank cycled months ago, fishless, never had any problems with the water since, test it twice a week. 30% water change done on Thursday, once a week as always.

Question is, as I dont have a QT tank, can I treat the whole tank with a fungal medication (which im gonna need to run out and buy today) or is that not a good idea?

I do have a tank currently cycling, 90L, which is processing ammonia 5ppm in about 14 hrs but the Nitrites are sky high, just reached its spike. Could I risk, doing a 90% water change on it and then putting the gourami in there to treat, water change daily as its not completely cycled? Or would it be better to leave him where he is??

Any help appreciated. Dont want to hurt the other fish by medicating the whole tank also dont want to make the gourami worse by moving him to the not completely cycled tank either :crazy:

For minor fungus I'd treat the main tank with Melafix, and regular say 20-30% daily waterchanges. If it progresses or spreads, treat with a fungus med. With most fungus meds, there is a slight risk to the filter, so it would be best if you use this method to QT the infected fish :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

Thanks Rabbut, will nip out and get some melafix and some pimafix in case it gets worse. Will keep him in the main tank for now then, treat the tank and fingers crossed it clears up and doesnt spread to the others.

Having a quick read up on pimafix, directions say it doesnt effect the biological filter, anyone else used pimafix and found this to be the case?

Right off to LFS for some meds. Gonna miss the end of the Monaco GP now :( Poop!

Primafix is safe so long as you don't overdose. Overdose and it will sting you.

All the best
Rabbut

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh on closer inspection, all the rainbows have what looks like white fungus showing around their mouths!!!!! Any ideas, is this just a fungus or could it be something else?? Stick with melafix? HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Well after travelling to two LFS the only thing I could find was a single bottle of pimafix. So, done a water change, removed carbon from filter (forgetting to turn off the valve fully, thus dumping about 10 litres of water everywhere :blink: ) and dosed 20mls of pimafix, 240L tank, says 5 mls for every 40 litres, but used caution not to overdose so have underdosed.

Says to dose for 7 days, do water change on 7th day. The stuff stinks!! But hopefully will work. Gonna travel to another LFS about 20 miles away tomorrow and look for some melafix just in case :look:

Fingers crossed it works, I dont like the look of this fungus, seems to be spreading rapidly to the other fish :sad:

Melafix is no good on columnaris you need myxazin by waterlife and pimafix.

OK well the pimafix is in, should I use myxazin as well? They had some of that at the LFS but didnt know if I should use it or not :rolleyes:

The fungus is getting worse on the gourami and he now has what looks like red under his mouth around his gills, under the skin!

The rainbows arent getting any better either and now I have a peppered cory with white patches on him too.

They are all feeding well (cept the cory, who just sits at the bottom) and swimming around normally.

Shall I keep up with the myxazin and pimafix or do I need something stronger. Im really worried now that this is gonna spread to all the fish.

The trouble with uk meds if the columnaris strain is bad uk meds won't always cure it.
The red on the fish does it look like blood beneatth the skin.
Are the gills red.
Anys signs of flicking and rubbing.

Hi Wilder, glad your here :)

Yes I would say it looks like blood under the skin, small patches mainly round the gills and spreading under his belly.

No flicking or rubbing from any of the fish.

Ok bad news the fish has now come down with septicemia which columnaris can cause.
Red bellies is septicemia too.
There anti internal bacteria med by interpet.
But once septicemia has advanced its even hard to cure with antibiotics as its blood poisoning.
All you can do is wait for the bacteria infection to settle down, I lost about three fish to septicemia before the tank settled down again.
http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm

Thats not good news, but I was expecting it to be honest.

Is it gonna be ok to treat with all these meds together, the pimafix, myxazin and interpet bacteria med? Right now my water stats are all still stable, be keeping a close eye on them because of the pimafix and myxazin.

If it gets worse, would I be kinder to euthanaise him?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back