Opaline, gold, and dwarf sunset gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mario9000

Reaction score
Hello, So i have a male opaline and male dwarf and i beleive that these are the only two male i have in a 55 gallon tank. I also have 2 female gold gouramis and i beleive a blue variant female. I have had them for about 5 coming up to 6 months now and during the 4th month i was experiencing bubble nest from the male opaline and which a female gold and blue seemed look gravid considering they look like they swallowed a marble. I didnt get to the fry stage considering i had to head out of town for the weekend and my gf didnt know how to feed them properly. So now i am at the point again where my females are beginning to look gravid again and when decided to separate the male and female to begind breeding he in a bully to both females and chases them around. So As of now i have him in isolation and am curious if he is just not in the mood and that i could try separating the females with my dwarf gourami instead of the opaline. I can post picture if need be to confirm sex. I am fairly new to this kind of fish, i am familiar with bettas and how they breed but I am stuck at a wall and would really like to continue this type of breeding since gouramis are beautiful fish .

Pictures would be very helpful :)

I know nothing about breeding gouramis or gouramis in general but usually when i chase my wife its because i want to breed not not breed;) sorry i couldnt be of more help:)

Hello, So i have a male opaline and male dwarf and i beleive that these are the only two male i have in a 55 gallon tank. I also have 2 female gold gouramis and i beleive a blue variant female. I have had them for about 5 coming up to 6 months now and during the 4th month i was experiencing bubble nest from the male opaline and which a female gold and blue seemed look gravid considering they look like they swallowed a marble. I didnt get to the fry stage considering i had to head out of town for the weekend and my gf didnt know how to feed them properly. So now i am at the point again where my females are beginning to look gravid again and when decided to separate the male and female to begind breeding he in a bully to both females and chases them around. So As of now i have him in isolation and am curious if he is just not in the mood and that i could try separating the females with my dwarf gourami instead of the opaline. I can post picture if need be to confirm sex. I am fairly new to this kind of fish, i am familiar with bettas and how they breed but I am stuck at a wall and would really like to continue this type of breeding since gouramis are beautiful fish .

First off, the blue, gold, and opaline gourami are varieties of the same natural species, Trichopodus trichopterus. So male/female of these could spawn as far as spawning being possible is concerned. The individual fish may or may not be in the mood, so to speak. The dwarf gourami is a different distinct species which willnot spawn with the other (just mentioning this, not sure of the context).

Male gourami are territorial, and individual fish can be lightly to heavily aggressive in defending their territory. The T. trichopterus species is particularly aggressive compared to other similar-sized gourami species, and even a female has been known to kill other fish in her tank. If a male of this species decides to spawn, and the female(s) are not in the mood, he can kill them with his insistence, and in fairly short order sometimes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back