Only One Fish Gasping For Air At Top Of Tank - Need Help Finding The C

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hilbro

Reaction score
Hello! I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank...have been keeping fish for about 10 years - I understand oxygen levels being low cause fish to gasp at the top but I can't seem to find out what iscausing this after all was fine 2 weeks ago. I have made some changes to the tank - here they are..
1 - 6 weeks ago I switched to a canister filter. I have an eheim 2213. I've triple checked that it's correct for a 55 gallon tank, but after I installed it I felt like it is smaller tubing than what I would think a tank this size needs. I have the water flow tube horizontal on the back wall so water is shooting forward.

2 - I added a twig catfish 2 weeks ago

3 - I added more sand (a synthetic sand) to my sandbox sand, which I've had since the beginning.

4- I added live plants (first time ever) a about 12 days ago..

I have 22 fish in the tank. Never had an oxygen problem before until the day after I added the plants. Cory cats were coming to top for air then diving down again, 1 Molly has been gasping for air ever since except for a few short spells after a water change.

All other fish seem fine EXCEPT
1) one had a fungus (?)growth on mouth (it wasn't mouth rot) - Ive done 2 50% water changes this week and that has disappeared.

2) another had a white spoton the tail...oozed like fungus, not ick...which also disappeared with water change

3) one has developed white edges on most of its fins...swimming around fine and healthy..just has white tipped fins that did not improve with water changes.

Besides doing three water changes in 10 days, I raise the temperature added more salt and position the water filter to hit the surface more and create those tiny oxygen Rich bubbles.

I've since turned down the heat down again.

This one fish is continuously gasping right where the water is disturbed most with the air bubbles and the filter. This is during the day as well as the night, & I realized the plants lower oxygen levels at night.

What would your best Gatsby is the problem? I made too many changes in this tank, I got to confidence I guess. And wondering if I switched to brighter lights for the plants? I know they're not as bright as they need to be, the red color is disappearing. I only have a,small amount of Cryptocoryne Undulata and Dwarf Hair grass (which most is floating at the top of the tank again!)

All of the other fish really seem to be doing fine. Thanks for any thoughts!

Interesting that the fungus-like growths dissappeared after the water change. What are your water parameters (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH, chlorine, etc.)?

Also, the white-edged fins could be finrot. I have no experience with finrot, so for advice on that, I hope others will respond.

Usually if you have an oxygen deficiency, all of your fish would be up at the surface, what you are describing suggests that it is the one fish rather than the tank that is where the problem lies.

Also, I thought cories went to the top for air sometimes? I was sure I read that on other threads before.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back