Ongoing 0.25ppm Nitrite Problem With Water Changes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Convictlover

Reaction score
Help! My tank is cycled and has been running for over 6 weeks. All my levels have been great up until last week. My nitrite spiked at 1.0-2.0ppm. I did a 50% water change and it dropped to 0.25ppm straight away but has now been stuck at 0.25ppm for over a week. I have been doing 30-50% water changes everyday, adding Pisces Water Conditioner and Start Up Bacteria and Aqua One Tropical Conditioning salts as I heard salt can help with nitrite not being absorbed by the fish. I also added a air bubbler to increase oxygen in the water. My nitrite just doesn’t want to go to 0. What else can I do or do I just have to do water changes everyday until it gets to 0!?

My ammonia and nitrate levels are both 0. I have a 65L planted tank with sand substrate with only a Convict Cichlid and Bristlenose catfish in the tank.

Attachments

• EC809F96-2BD9-4D2D-BE34-84F3C13CADDF.jpeg
    EC809F96-2BD9-4D2D-BE34-84F3C13CADDF.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 71
Have you tested the actual water supply, as tapwater/well water can have residual stuff sometimes, especially if there has been work done elsewhere on the pipe run by the water company

Really good point above. What kind of filter do you have? And how do you clean and maintain it?

I’m not familiar with that water conditioner is it just for chlorine or does it detoxify ammonia nitrite etc like prime?

Do you know the names of the plants you have? They look like they are all doing well but sometimes people will sell non aquatic plants that last a few weeks and then start to rot which could also explain your problem.

Also the 65 litre tank is ok for now but long term and for proper growth and health you will want something around 3 foot and 30 gallons for your convict - maybe a 20 gallon long tank if your plan is just these two.

Wills

I'm sorry I can't help with your issue, but as a side note I LOVE that lamp in your tank 😍

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back