One small step.....Bristol bans funfair/carnival goldfish prizes

• Thread starter Deleted member 149562
  • Start date
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I’m not sure, I’ve never actually been there. My older brother went with some friends of his, and knowing next to nothing about animals he just said “they had lizards as prizes” :(
That's so sad! It's bad enough that goldfish have been used as prizes for so long - but at least some people will have a pond or large tank they can add the fish to. Doesn't make it okay by any means, and it should still be banned everywhere, but given how many "prize" goldfish die, the numbers must be even worse for lizards. Even fewer people have an enclosure suitable for lizards lying around at home, let alone heat lamps and things!

Most lizards are fairly pricy too, so it's odd. Even the cheapest ones are gonna cost more than a 10 cent feeder fish. @Herpin Man have you heard about this? It's so sad! I wonder whether an animal welfare charity can step in, since the animal cruelty laws might cover lizards, where fish don't tend to be protected.

That's so sad! It's bad enough that goldfish have been used as prizes for so long - but at least some people will have a pond or large tank they can add the fish to. Doesn't make it okay by any means, and it should still be banned everywhere, but given how many "prize" goldfish die, the numbers must be even worse for lizards. Even fewer people have an enclosure suitable for lizards lying around at home, let alone heat lamps and things!

Most lizards are fairly pricy too, so it's odd. Even the cheapest ones are gonna cost more than a 10 cent feeder fish. @Herpin Man have you heard about this? It's so sad! I wonder whether an animal welfare charity can step in, since the animal cruelty laws might cover lizards, where fish don't tend to be protected.
I think it might be worth noting that the lizard report is hearsay. ;)

I'm so glad! Wish the USA would ban this... every year I go to the Fair I see kids walking out of their with their new "pet". It's just sad.

I think it might be worth noting that the lizard report is hearsay. ;)
While I do trust my brother, I do not trust his knowledge when it comes to animals, so who knows 😂 He said his friend won one, and it had a broken leg. He said the friend had lizards in the past and took it home, even bought some new equipment for it, but that it died.

I've never been to a fair or carnival with fish as prizes, and I'm glad. I hate seeing practices that are dangerous to fish. It's bad enough that their food is dangerous to humans*.

:lol: 🍢🥙🥓🥐
*but so, sooooo wonderful...

Back in the olden days, native green anoles were sometimes used as carnival prizes. I suspect that is the species being referred to here.
I’ve not personally witnessed this, and always thought it was mostly a thing of the past.

My grandmother won a goldfish at the fair when she was little, luckily her parents had an old 20g and had some experience, got the tank set up and everything, the goldfish lived for 12 years, a good old age especially for a fair-won fish. he had some funny antics, when they forgot to feed him he would put some of the substrate in his mouth and spit it on the glass lol so that they would hear and come.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back