One Of My Plecos Died. I Need Help To Prevent Other Death

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

okdodd

Reaction score
I apologize for reposting my question from one forum to another bu it's critical now.

Wrote on July 31, 2009:
I don't know if this is the problem, but I noticed a couple days ago my little bn pleco got discolored patch on the back. I know that they has tendency to get spots and sort of mask shape mark on the back. But this one is different. Could you please help me to determine if it's dangerous and what should I do if it is? I have attached the picture and the spot that concern me circled with red.

August 3, 2009
My pleco died today, the spot turned pink and gills was sticking out spread. I still don't know what it was, but I did notice yesterday that his poop was sort of thin string. I have another pleco, angels, danios, crabs and white cloud minnows. Could somebody help me to understand what happened with past away pleco, are my otehr fish in danger? What should I do? Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 72
What size is the tank and what are your water stats, especially ammonia and nitrite?

Stringy poo sometimes indicates bacterial infection or internal parascites.
Was the stringy poo white?

Is white stringy poo a problem then??? I've noticed some of my fish have this.

Thnx,

Nikki :)

What size is the tank and what are your water stats, especially ammonia and nitrite?

Stringy poo sometimes indicates bacterial infection or internal parascites.
Was the stringy poo white?

The tank is 65gallon, it's a tall hexagon.
The poo was sort of white, it's like a white string with regular color poo aroung it.
I've checked water in the morning, the test results was ok except for Ph level - 7.8 and water hardness is very hard.
If it's what you saying could that cause discoloration on his back? And what do I do now?

Is white stringy poo a problem then??? I've noticed some of my fish have this.

Thnx,

Nikki :)

White stringy poo CAN be a sign of infection or internal parascites but usually the fish also show other symptoms such as lack of appetite, thinness and/or marks on the body (sometimes red streaks).

It is very important to test the tank water for ammonia and nitrItes if any fish appear to be acting strangely or look unwell, as poor water quality is the main cause of fish illness.

need ammonia and nitrite actual readings please.
I will see if I can get numbers when I get home tonight. I'm afrade my test strips don't have numbers as I recall it says SAFE, GOOD, NORMAL, DANGER and etc. I'm a newbee with aquariums (just a few months), but didn't have much problems and death, except fidler crab escaped and clown loach died from ich, I bought him sick. I should probably get better test kits.
And If it turned to be a parasite what do I do? Oh, Dear...

ok ammonia is the one you need to check - when you can you could do with getting a liquid test kit - far more accurate.

I'd be tempted to say bacterial infection - don't know what meds you have there but in the uk I'd treat with interpets anti internal bacteria med - the white stringy poo indicates this as a possible cause.

Do try and check your water accurately (will your LFS do it until you can get a kit?) and I'd do a 30-40% water change before dosing with meds just to be on the safe side.

ok ammonia is the one you need to check - when you can you could do with getting a liquid test kit - far more accurate.

I'd be tempted to say bacterial infection - don't know what meds you have there but in the uk I'd treat with interpets anti internal bacteria med - the white stringy poo indicates this as a possible cause.

Do try and check your water accurately (will your LFS do it until you can get a kit?) and I'd do a 30-40% water change before dosing with meds just to be on the safe side.

Thank you very much, I'll do that. I'm watching closely every fish I have and they seem to be content as usual. Except for the other pleco. He doesn't have any sign of discoloration as the other one had, but I noticed that he is not eating as usual, not so active. Sitting still a lot and occasionally would jump startled all the sudden. His poo is normal, not stringy.
Do you think he is sick or it's just normal behavior and I'm been "worrying mother"? And if he is sick do I need to QT him?
I made a picture of him, just the whole disposition concerns me.

Attachments

• IMG_0273.JPG
    IMG_0273.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 53
I apologize for reposting my question from one forum to another bu it's critical now.

Wrote on July 31, 2009:
I don't know if this is the problem, but I noticed a couple days ago my little bn pleco got discolored patch on the back. I know that they has tendency to get spots and sort of mask shape mark on the back. But this one is different. Could you please help me to determine if it's dangerous and what should I do if it is? I have attached the picture and the spot that concern me circled with red.

August 3, 2009
My pleco died today, the spot turned pink and gills was sticking out spread. I still don't know what it was, but I did notice yesterday that his poop was sort of thin string. I have another pleco, angels, danios, crabs and white cloud minnows. Could somebody help me to understand what happened with past away pleco, are my otehr fish in danger? What should I do? Please help!

I am having the same trouble. Please let me know if you cured the problem.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back